Please help! 2 new babies and I’m panicking!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jordanb1998

Hi guys, I never really post on things like this but I am lost and scared and so confused. Anyways I got 2 female rats on Saturday afternoon and they’ve been doing okay but I’m very concerned about them not trusting me. I have not been able to hold them at all and that concerns me. They both smell me and lick and sometimes nibble at me. I don’t think it’s biting bc it doesn’t hurt, just numinous. But the problem is They also have been sneezing a lot. I know new home sneezes are a thing but I’m super concerned. I’ve googled things for hours on end and I’m kinda stuck right about now. They do not have any red stuff from their eyes or nose, which I know is a good thing, but they are sneezy and sometimes have sneezing attacks. Also I can hear one of them breathing, which I know is not a good sign and they possibly could have an URI. I want to take them to the small vet clinic but it is closed and even if I could, they are scared, will not let me hold them like at all! and often run into the corner when I open their cage. I’m panicking and thinking they’re going to die. I’m so scared and really need help! Pleaseee I need y’alls expertise!

Welcome to the forum :)
How old are you rattie girls?

It sounds like they are doing fine getting used to their new home. Just be patient and give them time.
Do they have a house? hammock? at least 2 water dishes? tubes and other things to hide in or explore? (many other items are needed for rat cages)
joinrats,com has some suggestions re socialization

You will need a carrier in order to take them to a vet etc - if you do not have one see the Reference thread for making a small bin cage.
The Reference Thread contains a great deal of useful info REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

New home sneezes are normal, just watch them and if it goes on for more then 5 days or so, or it becomes worse then a vet appointment with a good vet who has the knowledge and experience to treat rats and/or a willingness to learn might be a good idea

The breathing is a concern. Can you describe it, post a video to youube and put the link on here?
When you hold her up to your ear and listen to both sides of her chest what does it sound like?
Does she look like she is using a lot of effort to breath?
Is she eating, drinking and active? Any other behaviour changes.
Is she more active - running around, panicing, laying and hanging her head down or with her head tilted upwards?

(BTW also post on the facebook group Real Rat Lovers Want To Know)

Okay so they have gotten better a little bit with the sneezing. I think they’re warming up to me a little bit at this point. One of them let’s me pet her but the other does not. I am giving them treats out of my hand and they take them so I know that’s a good sign. They are very active when they are out of their igloo, eating and drinking normally. No other problems other than the sneezing and occasional breathing issue and then their trust in me, which I will just have to work on doing. It has been a week since I got them and they are still sneezing, which is why I am concerned. In their cage they have an igloo, another hide, lots of chew toys, hanging ropes and stuff, food, water, and I am working on the hammock because the store was out of them. Thank you!
also I will work on getting a video put on YouTube so you can hear the sneezing and very occasional breathing problems

Good that the sneezing is decreasing. Keep a close eye on them and try to see if there is anything in the environment that could be causing this.
Such as: Are there any scents in the environment? Do you use oils, Febreze etc? What type of bedding are you using? Is their bedding dusty?

What do you mean by occasional breathing issue?

It sounds like things are going well re the babies getting to know you and learning to trust you. One thing you can do once you feel the babies are settled in and used to you is put on a tight shirt with a loose shirt over it. Sit or lay down with both babies on you, between the 2 shirts. Read or watch tv etc for half an hour or so. The babies will get used to you, your smell, etc while feeling safe because they are under your shirt.

The girls would likely enjoy a wheel in their cage. Make sure you buy a solid wheel (no rungs ets as toeds and tails can get caught) at least 12 inches in diameter. Many people like the silent spinner, as well as wodent wheels

Please check out our Reference Thread if you have not already done so. It is periodically updated. REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

It sounds like they gave mild respiratory infections as they are both active and normal except the sneezing and nasal popping sounds? A video would help us.
Do you have any human antibiotics leftover in your own med cupboard on hand?

Back