Play Pen Recommendations?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuffinsMum

We haven't invested in a playpen, but with the idea that the girls may need to be boarded in someone else's space coming up, I was wondering if supplying a pen might not be a good idea?

Does anyone here have a recommendation? Is one inch spacing between bars too much? (For adult female rats).

Thank you!

ETA - I'd love to get a Martin's ... $74 (plus $150 in shipping).

Hard swallow. Maybe keep looking.

So any other suggestions would be MOST appreciated!

Most people make playpens out of coroplast or thick cardboard. They cut it into panels (at least 2.5' high, preferably 3' IMO) and link the panels together using zip ties. Other than the Martin's play pen, I don't know of any other ones that are remotely suitable for rats... they just climb and/or chew their way out. Midwest makes dog exercise pens with optional tops but the spacing is 1.25", so you'd have to cover it all in hardware cloth.

I think a determined rat could chew their way out of that cover in no time... Montreal Critters sells the Midwest exercise pens if you want to take a look at what I mean. They are amazing habitats for rabbits if anyone's ever looking for alternatives to rabbit cages. You can even use a 4' wide piece of wood to create a shelf if you want a second level.

Cloroplast makes a great contained play area for supervised out time. I have used it for years and find it works very well.
However, if you want a playpen, the large martins playpen is a wise investment and well worth the money.

Thank you! I'm in the process of laying out the options pro's and con's (and waiting for Martin's to get back to me with an acccurate shipping quote) before we DIVE!

I really appreciate your experience and encouragement! It's nice if you're going into something to feel that you've weighed everything up accurately!

Sitting here, drumming my fingernails off ...

My Martin's shipping quote is $167 shipping, which would make the playpen $241. That's a bit more than my budget.

PRO: I love the bar spacing ... love the wire top, CON: I WISH it was QUITE a bit bigger ... (like 65x44)

The marshall's pens I linked a while back: PRO: can be made almost as big as you like if you get 2 but CON: they don't have the wire top, CON: I prefer the 29" high one, but feel a bit freaky about 1" bar spacing. CON: The one with 3/4 inch bar spacing is only 20" high. (That's a lot of cons).

We're only planning on using the pen when we're around, but not able to keep our eyes fixed on the ratties every single minute. (But 30 seconds can be long enough to breed regrets.) Does a non wire top give one that sense of security?

Coroplast - I have a rattie that gets freaked out when she feels contained and can't see out. We've tried cardboard walls before and poor Muffie spends all her out time trying to jump them. She's pretty laid back and shy so this obvious distress really upset me.

Presently they have their time out on a table, with Gracie doing the most incredible acrobatics on the edge and it takes a minimum of three people to watch her!

I just would love to find something that works for everybody!

:gaah:

I don't know what to do. I just needed to have a moan.

MuffinsMum said:
Coroplast - I have a rattie that gets freaked out when she feels contained and can't see out. We've tried cardboard walls before and poor Muffie spends all her out time trying to jump them. She's pretty laid back and shy so this obvious distress really upset me.

Rats can climb out of wire play pens without lids and jump out of ones with solid sides that are not high enough.
martins:
Dec08peekaboo.jpg

Coroplast play areas can be whatever size you want
For example:

007.jpg

003.jpg

Dec12Liverpoolrattiesoncouch.jpg

May16Cookietheclimber.jpg

Thanks for those pics SQ!

Knowing me I need something wire with a wire top or I won't be able to turn my back for half a minute - which defeats the peace of mind I was hoping for.

I'm going to have to broach the subject of the Martins with DH. Considering I purchased a CN earlier this year! :shock:

Have you looked at having it shipped to a US address and crossing the border to pick it up? There are some companies that have warehouses set up for Canadians ordering from the US.

Wow i love your hamock and the racks . Where did you get that from . Also the hamster wheel thats a great idea . Who makes that hamster cage ?

Back