Plants in the house

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaana

Hello,
So I currently have 5 ratties who all live in the living room. I was looking at getting some house plants to help purifier the air in the flat, maybe ones like spider plant, aloe vera, English ivy or peace lilly. I was wondering if any knows if these are safe for rats to be around, not to eat or anything.

If none of these are could anyone gives suggestions on ones that are safe?

Many thanks
Jaana

Lets see if this works. This poster was in my vet's office.
pet-friendly-plants.jpg

Lets see if this works. This poster was in my vet's office.
pet-friendly-plants.jpg
Thanks for this but the poster is if the animal eats the plant and I won't let my rats eat the plant just want to know if it's bad for them to let's say be in the same room as the plant, but in there cage where they can't ingest it or touch it.

Oh well, if you are sure your rats will never have access to the plants, then I'd say no worries then. I'm sure being in the same room with a plant won't do much unless they are very fragrant, then it might aggravate their respiratory system.

I had an aloe (key word: had because I managed to kill a succulent) plant and my boys didn't seem to have an issue. But, I always washed my hands in between touching the aloe plant and my rats. I have a peace lily on the lower level of my house and I haven't noticed any issues. I also haven't noticed any sort of fragrance from my plants.

I have a couple of the other plants outside of my patio, but I also don' touch them and then immediately touch my rats.

I have lots of plants including a snake plant (out of reach since they are toxic to animals) in the same room as my rats and have never had an issue. I wouldn’t put a super fragrant plant in the room with them just because I wouldn’t want the smell to overpower them but the plants are great natural air purifiers and really cut down on the rat pee smell my girls like to spread around my room lol.

Back