Planning a cage...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's_Girl

I bought a Martin's Cage R695 and plan to use fleece for the bedding, but I was wondering how I can keep the fleece on the shelves?
Is there a way to do this?

I don't have a Martin but I'd imagine you could cut the fleece to match the side of the shelf and clip it down, or fold it underneath using clips?

I also use towels in the bottom of my 695, use one normal sized bath towel and you can set the cage down on top of the towel in the tray. Helps hold it that way. I also give everyone extra rags all around in the cage, they love to rearrange some of them so I don't clip them. Keeps them occupied with something after a cage cleaning night and I am done early!

I did the same as Jo previously. Now I make their liners and use velcro to hold it down on the corners. The binder clips work well for the most part, but one of my girls had a knack for chewing the fleece off of the clip.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what binder clips are.
(Are they those [typically black] clips made to hold larger number of papers together?)
Where can I get them?

Yes, they're the black clips with the metal.. thingies.. Heh. Here's a link to the ones we're talking about.

You can get them just about anywhere they carry any sort of office supplies.

Hey Jacks's girl--I have the Martins r695 as well (LOVE IT!). I use plastic canvas on the shelves that you get at Joannes for ugly needle craft. The holes are small enough to let pee through but large enough to make it comfy for ratty feet. Some people have problems with their rats chewing it, but mine arent' big chewers. I like it cause I just toss them in the tub and give it a rinse every other day or so and it really helps keep the smell down. Just my two cents!

*EDIT* big enough for pee small enough for comfy feet. I really should proof read before i hit submit

As a note, I've read on several other forums of rats having issues with plastic canvas, mostly ripped or broken toenails.

And I've made lots of pretty things from plastic canvas. :wink:

I use linolum (roll) cut to fit on the full level and dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit on the balconies. Then I use fleece on the bottom and the full level. Works pretty good and keeps them off the wire.

Sorry Javakitty--No offense intended! I've been using the plastic for close to a year now with no issues. I like it because it is easy to rinse off and the tub is about 5 steps from the rat cage. Everyone has their own preference.

BTW Javakitty I was just parusing your cage liners on Goosemoose and they are AWFULLY nice!!! I just might consider switching :D

No offense taken! Like I said, some people had the problem, and I'm sure some people didn't. It's always a matter of what works best for you.

You can look on my website as well for more info and pics.

Back