Pituitary Tumour or Trauma? Looking For Advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the vet said is utter nonsense! You can dose 0.5mg pills just fine- The dose for rats is 0.6mg/kg - so if your rat is 250g you give 1/4 pill, 500g you give half a pill! Is that vet so incompetent they seriously cannot cut a pill in half?!?

I too wasted a lot of money the first time but that's not necessary at all. All the compounding pharmacy does is mix the pills up in oil and add flavoring. They use oil because it lasts longest that way (water-based degrades the active ingredient after a few days) but I wouldn't prefer this method even if it were cheaper because you have to make sure you shake the hell out of it each time or you will not be giving the same amount because the powder never dissolves in the oil. Also you lose a lot stuck to the inside of the vial.

I prefer to mix each dose individually, this ensures I have a known potency and a known quantity each time. You can get a scale from Amazon for ~$20 that measures to the milligram (0.001g) that is plenty good enough to weigh out doses. You can just mix each dose, once every 3 days, with whatever hides the taste the best. I used strawberry ensure max, never had an issue with the taste.

Also- always go to goodrx.com first to see if they have a coupon. I got the cabergoline for under $15. Without a discount card or coupon you always pay way too much. The MSRP for the same amount was close to $300. idk about Canada but they might have something similar.

Hopefully this will help if you ever have this issue again. I am very sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
I am so, so sorry to hear Juniper’s story. You did so well taking care of her, and you showed her so much love and dedication. I want to thank you for documenting her journey with pt. The details you gave are heartbreaking, but they have helped me understand pt (I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with my rat), and your thorough documentation will help others on here care for their babies. Thank you for sharing the medicines you used and their effects. I am so sorry for your loss. I’m so grateful you got to spend that little extra time with her, and I’m sure she knows how much you love her.

Back