The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Honeydewmelon

Hi everyone, I have a 1 year old rat named Frida. Her cagemate just died of a pituitary tumor after 2 1/2 years on this earth. But before she died I asked to have the antibiotics for an inner ear infection from my vet, just in case it was an ear infection and she could get better. It was a pituitary tumor though and she died. My vet never said anything about it being contagious, but a couple of days after her cagemate died, Frida started exhibiting the same symptoms except they're increasingly growing more concerning every day, way faster then her cagemate started showing them. It's thanksgiving break and the only exotic vet office isn't open and emergency vets in my town don't see rats. So, I gave her the same antibiotics that my other rat got before she died, the same dosage and everything. It's still getting worse though.

They both exhibited the same symptoms of their hear being more turned and imbalanced everyday, except for frida its going shockingly fast. She is having red discharge out of her nose, she can still eat and use her hands, but she is clearly freaking out because she cant balance herself correctly. What are the chances they both have pituitary tumors around the same time without it being contagious? Is there another illness with this symptom that is contagious? I read that rats with inner ear infections keep their head tilt even after they're cured, but is it normal for her head tilt to get worse even after two days of being on antibiotics? The vet reopens tomorrow, but the exotic vet who works there won't be back until Tuesday, so I could use all the help I could get.

I think its also worth mentioning I only noticed she started exhibiting these symptoms a day after she got a new casemate. She had been a lone for a few days with no noticeable symptoms.

I can tell you the antibiotics tomorrow morning when I call the vet, but I threw the info away :(. All I know is that I was supposed to give her .2 ml every 12 hours. Will link you a video shortly. Thanks for helping<3

I have messaged lilspaz68 and Jorats ..... hopefully they will see the message when they get up in the morning

I'm not sure what is going on, but given her age, it is less likely to be pt
Is she spayed?

Last edited:
Yep, that looks very much like an ear infection. At a year old, I really can't see it being PT. I would start her on the meds your vet gave you for ear infection.

As Jo said, a year old is really too young for PT worries, but I definitely see inner ear infection with manic expression. Its not as common as the head tilt only but they often wave their heads and seem to move a lot faster than normal. This will continue after the active infection is cured, but you can see how dizzy she is here. Two days is definitely not long enough to show any improvements, it will likely take 4-5 days at least. Worsening symptoms can also happen until the antibiotics build up enough in their system to work on the bacteria causing her issues. Is there any mg/ml on the bottles you were given?

Back