Pine Cones

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

Hey anyone know if rats can be given pine cones to chew on? My grandma gave me a huge bag of them that fell off her tree. They don't use any kind of fertalizer on their lawn. Can I put them in their cage? I was thinking of hanging them with string or something from the cage so that they are kind of like hanging pinatas or something. Should I wash them first and let them dry out?

OldsGal said:
Hey anyone know if rats can be given pine cones to chew on? My grandma gave me a huge bag of them that fell off her tree. They don't use any kind of fertalizer on their lawn. Can I put them in their cage? I was thinking of hanging them with string or something from the cage so that they are kind of like hanging pinatas or something. Should I wash them first and let them dry out?

Hmmm...would pine cones have the phenols? I bet not. Maybe baking them at a low temp to kill any parasites?

I'm leaning towards it being safe since you see squirrels with them all the time but good points were raised about the bugs. I think the heat method would be better on the off chance there's a parasite that can withstand being frozen for some time. Then again there are things that can withstand heat for a while too so maybe both. :lol:

I was talking to my stepfather tonight. He mills wood for a living and is a big treenut. Seriously that's their email and his licence plate.

Anyways, he had offered planer shavings to me, but I told him pine wasn't good, because the phenols weren't good for the rats. So I asked him if pine shavings weren't good how would pinecones be and he said they would be even worse then the shavings.

Not 100% sure but I thought I would mention it.

LA said:
I was talking to my stepfather tonight. He mills wood for a living and is a big treenut. Seriously that's their email and his licence plate.

Anyways, he had offered planer shavings to me, but I told him pine wasn't good, because the phenols weren't good for the rats. So I asked him if pine shavings weren't good how would pinecones be and he said they would be even worse then the shavings.

Not 100% sure but I thought I would mention it.

good to know! :wow:

That's really good to know.
Just taking a guess here... I wonder if it's safe for the squirrels because they are outside in the big ol' outdoors?

Ok well I guess I will just give these back to my grandma then. She saves them for my parents too who use them to start camp fires. Dang. And here I thought I had some really cool new toy for the ratties.

Staci

Maybe check about cooking them? We've done that in the past but it was to decorate out Xmas tree. (we didn't have rats back then) Maybe there's something online that might indicate that cooking the cones might get rid of the phenols?

I would personally never use a pine bedding, but I have always given pine chews and bird toys made of pine.... Personally I can't see anything wrong with giving them a pinecone to play with. I think the risk of phenols is so incredibly low, they aren't living on top of it breathing it in for long periods of time. As long as its one of the non-sticky ones (yuck!), I would let them have at 'er. :)

Back