Pig Feed?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mixalot2009

I've seen a lot of forums for breeder using pig feed to feed the rats they have an having good results. I guess they range from 13-16% protein and pretty close to rat blocks as far as ingredients are concerned. Any opnions on this? the biggest advantage obviously is a 50 pound bag is about 16 bucks.

Oh, I would not recommend pig feed. They have entirely different needs, like lysine for instance. They have a greater need for lysine. I wouldn't feed rats anything that is not for rodents.

OK the reason I ask is the local pets store near me feeds that to their rats and have for years apparently. I was just comparing ingredients for example

Mazuri Pig feed:

Ground corn, wheat middlings, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground soybean hulls, dried beet pulp, cane molasses, flaxseed, calcium lignin sulfonate (pelleting agent), dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, soybean oil, salt, ammonium chloride, choline chloride, dl-methionine, zinc methionine complex, biotin, dried yucca shidigera extract, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium pantothenate, ferrous sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (form of vitamin E), folic acid, preserved with mixed tocopherols (form of vitamin E), cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), copper sulfate, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, rosemary extract, riboflavin, citric acid, thiamin mononitrate, nicotinic acid, l-lysine, manganese sulfate, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, basic copper chloride, sodium selenite.

VS

Mazuri Rat and Mouse

Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Wheat Middlings, Ground Wheat, Soybean Oil, Cane Molasses, Ground Oats, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Beet Pulp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Germ, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Calcium Propionate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Dried Yucca Schidigera Extract, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Form of Vitamin E), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate.

They have VERY similar ingredients and nutritional value with a few differences.

Back