Pics of your rat play room/free rome area!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i need ideas too... mine is super boring but since i have a whole room just for free roaming, i know it can be awesome if i put some work into it..

this is one side
160tt2w.jpg

a little bit of toys, but not to much... mostly stuff i found around, and stuff from value village/ second hand store..

2mmx154.jpg

this is for an idea of how big it is... lol i covered the opening in the heater with a hearty mix of duct tape and corrugated plastic.

they spend a lot of time hiding under the dresser i have in there, but they also like the scrap box (just a bunch of cut up fabric, in a box)

OMG kmom... I would kill to have a rat room like yours, a blank slate...oh my, the ideas are endless!!

I've got pics from throughout the years!

Ratplayground.jpg

play5.jpg

Playarea_edited-1.jpg

smcagesetup2.jpg

newsnapinn.jpg

That looks very nice Jo! Do you guys put everything away after playing time or do you just leave it there and maybe change it up the next day or something? Looks fab!!

I put everything away because it's actually my dining room but if I had a rat room like kmom, everything would stay where they are.

jorats said:
I put everything away because it's actually my dining room but if I had a rat room like kmom, everything would stay where they are.

lol. ours used to be our bedroom, but we prefer sleeping in the living room lol so i was like "hey.. lets make this the rat room."

and since the boyfriend has no choice but to agree with me, he agreed with me. :giggle:

I would like to keep everything where in is in my room/the rat room but then, to me, it looks cluttered and messing :p but it all comes out again though!

:shock:
I soooooo NEED a floor like that in my rat room! OMG! HOW easy would that be to keep clean?!?!?!
i've got carpet, in which my rabbits, and dogs, and now rats have destroyed.... :doh: I need laminate in there for SURE! WAY cleaner!!!

I can't wait to have a rat room!!! For now, my girls play area is my bed. This is my first time posting pics so I hope this works!!!

Bed1.jpg

Bed2.jpg

Is it time to come out? (Nez)

Nez3.jpg

He he...come get me Momma! (Nez)

Nez4.jpg

Peek a Boo (Zumi)

Zumi4.jpg

mmmmm, this flashdrive tastes good. (Zumi)

Zumi.jpg

Ahhh, the favourite toy...a kleenex box (Nez)

NezinBox.jpg

Don't jump!!! (Nez...she never has.)

Nez2.jpg

Most of the time I'm lying there letting them run all over me...but you get the general idea. This nice thing about this is since I have to clean it up each day, it's always changing. I've got different size boxes, some more tubing and some toddler toys that I alternate with.

Your guys' rats' playpens all looks so great! :D

Mine is currently just a shelves from broken bookshelves and what not I have found over the years all connected to make a pen. It's not too big and I hope to organize it better and make it bigger. I would love to be able to use a table or a bed as a playpen but, even if she's never gotten hurt, Lily has proven many times that rats are not scared of heights... no matter how high. :roll:

Christie said:
Is that there regular cage? The red and white one? I hope not because thats a hamster cage. I suggest getting a bigger one.

It's a former 3 level hamster cage I converted to a two level rat cage. I know that it's a bit on the small size, (my cage calculator puts it at 1.75 rats) but they are still pretty small bubs. I'm working on getting another cage, and had one found in Scarborough (see my post "My new cage") but since everyone is ragging on the smell from the galvanized steel, now I'm not so sure. I do have a larger rabbit cage but Zumi is still so small that she can squeeze through the bars. Please keep in mind that these girls come with me twice a week to work and have free range on my desk there, plus they have run of my bed for the entire day (8am to 11pm) when I'm working from home. They are, for the most part 'free range rats.' I'm a very light sleeper and know that they aren't very active at night (there cage is literally right next to my bed) so for the most part I am comfortable with their current living arrangements.

For a while now my rats' out time has been in a Martins playpen. I prefered them having a bigger area blocked off by Coroplast, so that's what I am aiming for again.

Here's the playpen:
CorriegirlsplaypenJune08SQtoyresize.jpg

You can put wheels, hammocks, tubes, and lots of other things for them to play with:
Juliacroppedresized20090524_01.jpg

ClaraHildainplaypen.jpg

Playpenwithfostergirlscroppedandsha.jpg

It's a great place to hold a birthday party if you don't want them to mess up their cage!:
Fouroffivebdgirlslickbananamashfirs.jpg

Edithandfriends30monthday.jpg

I used to have a Coroplast enclosure around both cages, so that they could play while I cleaned the cages or worked at the computer on the other side of the enclosure.
PlayareacornerCorrieandgirlie.jpg

Playarea.jpg

this was also a great place for a birthday party:
CorrieGirlsfirstbdpartyP4130226.jpg

Back