Picky eater or what?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

I've posted before about my rat, Rinky, being a very fussy eater. Now he won't eat the peas & corn unless I hand feed him. He doesn't like much else. I've tried potato skins, bean sprouts, Romain lettuce mix, curly kale, banana, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, tomato, string beans, eggs & he only nibbles on the blocks I give him. Vet said to just put the blocks out for him and eventually he will like them. For now stay with peas & a little corn but don't hand feed him. Question is, has anyone else ever had a rat like this??

no, I haven't ….. different rats have preferred and disliked different foods …. but not an issue like this

when did this problem start?
What was he eating previously?
Does he live with other rats?
If so how long has he been living with others? Any problems?
What do the others eat?

Problem has been since I got him.
They had him on mixed grains, like oats, sunflower seeds & pellets mixed together. He's still by himself cause I have some personal problems going on. But he's very happy. He's out of his cage except when he sleeps. Nothing has changed.

From what you've mentioned elsewhere, he's not even three months old yet. That's a wee muffin who is still exploring what's good to eat. Milo was about four months old when he came to us, and wasn't too sure lab blocks counted as food. It took a bit, but he got used to them. Your little guy might still be figuring out that blocks are for eating.

From what you've mentioned elsewhere, he's not even three months old yet. That's a wee muffin who is still exploring what's good to eat. Milo was about four months old when he came to us, and wasn't too sure lab blocks counted as food. It took a bit, but he got used to them. Your little guy might still be figuring out that blocks are for eating.
Thanks SQ & sqeaking jellybean! I hope so!
Noel

The sooner you can do intros, the easier it will be
and living with others may encourage him to eat what they eat
also rats living alone may become depressed and stop eating …..
he is a baby that was used to living with his mama and all of his brothers and sisters and playing and snuggling and sleeping with them …… now he is a baby all alone and separated from his mama and siblings
I am not aware of the circumstances but babies need to live with at least 1 other baby

I agree, it is a possibility your little one is lonely. Rats are very social and they would eat together and rely on each other to know what is ok to eat. Keep trying to offer different veggies off your plate. You might even try to put it in your mouth first so he will smell you on it and see that it's safe to eat.

I have picky eaters. Right now they are refusing their greens - so for a couple days they will just get their oxbow. That usually works for me! They get extra picky a few times a month..... The rats I have now eat carrots and green peppers. I've never had adult rats eat carrots and green peppers. Do not hand feed him or he will learn to want that. Trust me I know, my husband has done that to a couple of ours....

I have picky eaters. Right now they are refusing their greens - so for a couple days they will just get their oxbow. That usually works for me! They get extra picky a few times a month..... The rats I have now eat carrots and green peppers. I've never had adult rats eat carrots and green peppers. Do not hand feed him or he will learn to want that. Trust me I know, my husband has done that to a couple of ours....
Thank you dspch911! Yes my Rinky is still very very picky. I have tried everything & I mean all foods they can have. But he has grown, so he is eating. Still wont eat those damn oxbow things though. He likes his peas,tri color pasta & very rarely I give him corn & cherrios. Oh, yes, and I was hand feeding him thinking it was so cute. Until he started following me around with his body & eyes. Then I would say "what Rinky? (he knows his name) and he would run to his bowl. He wanted me to feed him. Broke him out of it, but he still tries to get over...lol. Ok, so it's not mean if I just give him the oxbow even if doent eat it? How long do I let him be hungry

I had to do that once with a group of rats I rescued. They were being fed cheetos and crap. They finally did eat their blocks when nothing else was offered.

Back