Petstore vs. Pedigreed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratmom

I don't know if anyone will agree w/me on this, because it's just my personal experience. Most of the rats that I take in started out from either petsmart or petco. To me it seems like these rats are getting healthier. I know I may be wrong and yes I have lost some rats that came directly from petstores, but I'm comparing them to the pedigreed rats I have adopted over the years. I know most breeders breed for health mainly, but are you guys really getting the outcome you expected? My theory is being that most rats in petstores are with other rats sometimes crammed together their immune system is challenged more and may become stronger. Most of my rats that I take in live longer than the ones I've adopted from breeders. I've never had one live to 3 or past 3, but my rescues and other rats I've taken in have. I have one girl last of her litter that I rescued over 2 years ago and she will turn 3 next month and she has several tumors had 2 surgeries. I've had lots of rescues that lived to 3+ w/lots of less health problems than my pedigreed ratties. My personal experience I'm sure will differ from others, but would love to hear of your personal experiences esp with breeders that also rescue.

Not trying to spark a debate just hearing other view points :)

***Disclaimer*** My personal experiences only are discussed below.

The breeder vs rescue topic always seems to spark a lot of controversy. Like you, I have often thought that petstore rats have been healthier based on my experiences. It is not an unreasonable conclusion to come to. A couple of my rescues came to mind immediately when I read your post - obvious petstore rats that I have looked at and many times thought they are rats that have gone against every argument that petstore rats are not the best in health and temperament.
Personally, my rescues have always been far healthier than the rats I have bought from breeders. Even those rescues that I have taken in as full grown adults, with already existing health issues, have been some of the sweetest and longest lived of all my rats. I base this on factual percentages and the extensive histories that I maintain on all the rats that have been with me.
However, it is obvious that I have never met a truly ethical breeder. They sometimes start off like they seem to have health and temperament as their priorities, and that is what they will tell you, but as time goes on you find that is not the case with them. That has been my personal experience - I do not speak for anyone else but me.
Yes, I have dealt with mild, moderate, and severe health issues in both groups, breeder rats and rescue rats, but on a whole the rescues I have had outlive the breeder rats and have had far less temperament and health issues.
And yes, I would guess that the majority (almost all) of the rats that I have adopted through AC, shelters, rehoming and rescues started off as being petstore rats or been born of petstore rats.
You are not going to be able to reverse poor genetics, or conditions that have been inbred generation after generation, but how those rats are cared for in your home is going to play a large part in how healthy and happy they are. Sometimes it is going to be a losing battle against their breeding from the get go regardless of what you do, but your care will sometimes counteract some of the health issues and prevent them from becoming life threatening at an early age.
Sometimes you cannot win the battle against poor breeding, but in some cases you can change the overall outcome for those rats based on the care that you provide them with.
I don't think that petstore rats are getting healthier - no. What I think is that breeders are getting worse and worse and the care that is provided to some rats is getting better and better. Vet care is improving, in a lot of cases, in leaps and bounds and people are more inclined to take their rats to the vets and obtain treatment for them.
Forums where rat owners are able to share medical and treatment information play a large part in how well educated rat owners are about care and have probably made the most impact on the overall improvement for rats around the world.
It has also been my personal experience that those rat owners that I have encountered who always seek out the very best vet care, and will stop at nothing to obtain the best treatments possible, have been those that rescue rats and not those that buy them from breeders. Again, that is MY personal experience only, I am sure that there are some rat owners out there that purchase their rats from breeders and provide them with the best care possible, its just that I haven't met many of them. A handful, but not many.

I have rats both from a breeder and from a rescue.

(And yes Vanessa, I do provide my breeder rats with the best care posssible, and that goes for my rescue rats too. :) )

I haven't had rats long enough to really gague the differences between rescue health versus breeder health, but I do know that two of my breeder rats have needed vet care on several occasions, and one of those rats is pretty darn sick right now, at only one year old.
My other two breeder rats are eight months old and very healthy.
My first rescue rat came to me as an adult and has the sneezes but has seen a vet and it is not serious.
My other two rescues are still babies and are still healthy.

As my rescues get older I'll be able to better compare their health to my breeder rats, but I really do think health of breeder rats completely depends on the breeder.

Interestingly, the rattery I adopted my rats from does both independant and joint breedings with other ratteries.
My two hairless have been from her own independant breeding, from parents she has bred herself from her own lines. They have both been sickly since about two months old, and one have them has respitory illness in the lungs.
My other two rats I adopted from her were from a joint breeding with another rattery. These rats have a dad from her own lines, and a mom from the other rattery. These two rats have been noticably healthier, and have not had any health problems to date.
It could be theorized that the rats from the joint breeding are healthier because the other rattery breeds healthier rats.

I've have/had breeder rats and pet store rats and tons of rescue rats.
My rescue rats were at one time breeder rats or rescue rats.

I've had three breeder rats, one of them was sick at a very young age and had to be pts at 22m, her sister died at 24m of a pt. Then there's Bijou, she was a breeder rat and lived to be 41m.

I did some research on the origin of my first two breeder rats, they are descendants from a so called breeder in Ottawa. After further research, I have found this breeder to breed pet store rats to add to her lines and that her rats in the past, (not sure about her current rats) have died quite young. I was shocked to see that most barely made it to 18 months.
My pet store rats far outlived my first two breeder rats.
The rats from local breeder here, that I've acquired as rescues from the SPCA were not healthier than a pet store rat. In fact, most of all the males from a local breeder are all aggressive. :(

My rats mostly make it to 28 months and up, but that's because of my top notch care, best foods, habitat and vet care.

I guess what I'm saying, in Ontario, the breeder rats are absolutely no better than your average pet store rat.

ratamataz said:
It could be theorized that the rats from the joint breeding are healthier because the other rattery breeds healthier rats.

For me it's the opposite. When my breeder got some rats from out of state from a well known breeder it screwed up many of her good lines. I lost a few from different litters at a young age, some where unexpected. I lost one that developed cancer, both mom & dad were from this out of state breeder so I can conclude it was her lines. I have another one that just developed cancer so I'm still dealing with sick ones right now. I have a wonderful alternative vet so she recommends a lot of tinctures & supplements for them so that does help.

You must have been pretty upset when your breeder introduced some bad genes into her lines causing your babies to develop cancer. :( Alternative medicine is fascinating, keep us in touch with your progress! :p

Pet store rats in my area are terrible. They basically come to you plagued with respiratory problems and pneumonia by the time they are 6 months old. I have put rats to sleep at 6 weeks of age with pneumonia, 1 year of age after developing pneumonia for a 3rd time, and 18 months of age with pulmonary abscesses/chronic lung problems. This is all with oodles of money spent on antibiotics and vet care!

I know someone who does not give their rats vet care (I don't condone it) and their pet store rats only live to be 10 months of age on average.

Somedays I wish I could clobber the feeder breeder that supplies these rats. I know he is just doing his job, supplying the rodents the stores order. He doesn't care how healthy they are.

My only pet store purchase who has not had major major respiratory problems has now just developed a third mammary tumor.

I had two girls shipped in from a very reputable breeder on the west coast. They are almost 9 months old, and knock on wood, have never had so much as a sniffle or needed to go to the vet yet. :D

ratamataz said:
You must have been pretty upset when your breeder introduced some bad genes into her lines causing your babies to develop cancer. :( Alternative medicine is fascinating, keep us in touch with your progress! :p
At first I was, but she is my friend and I knew it wasn't her fault, because she didn't know. I still think it's like playing russian roulette, you really don't know what the outcome is going to be. This breeder she used on the west coast is pretty high up there and a lot of breeders use her so it really surprised me. So I have stack of updates for the NARR, which is a pain to do, but I want this info out there ya know.
I'm a big believer in supplements esp the ones that boost the immune system.

Things are constantly changing in my area but most of the "breeders" in my area also supply the pet stores. So a pet store rat and a breeder rat are one and same - very questionable health & probably suffering from mites.

It does depend on which breeder or store you go to. The bigger chain stored tend to use the huge mill type breeders, etc.

Well I just lost another one to cancer yesterday so I'm fed up. No more breeders for me :cry:

It's so very hard to lose them like that... It was the same for me, I was so upset to find out my breeder rats were less than ideal, especially when at the time, I was naive enough to listen to the breeder talk about how her lines are healthy, no tumours, no myco... it was all crap.
That's why I've decided to just do rescues and help out the needed. If they become sick with cancer or anything else, at least I didn't pay a higher price for them, I was there to give them a forever home.

You are so right though. It's much more rewarding too. Almost half of mine are rescues and I just adore them. I agree though all that talk about health etc is all crap.

My longest-lived came from a squirming piled-3-high aquarium in the back of a pet store that had no "pet stock' at the time and could only offer 'snakefood'.
I think that's when my disenchantment with breeders in general started, Why would anyone contribute to this horror for so many less 'pretty' kids who are homeless cause the homes go to to the 'looks-currently-in-demand', unless they are working to breed for future healthier lines?

I respect anyone trying to breed-out illness and breed-in health, for the sake of the kids and those who love them. But I have a problem with anyone trying to just create aesthetically in-demand critters of any kind.
Whether they find homes for their litter or not, that aquarium of unwanted is the result of creating more kids than there are goodf homes, so there better be a better reason to breed them than 'interesting for my children to see the birth' or 'curious what I will get'. :evil:

The thing that you have to remember is that just because they *say* they're ethical breeders, doesn't mean they are. The people who breed pet store and feeder rats call themselves breeders as well. Many of you may have lucked out and gotten pet store rats that lived nice long lives with few issues. I lost 2 of my girls before they were even a year and a half. They both passed from severe health complications, which was awful for all of us.

The fact remains that breeder rats, if bred properly and ethically, are healthier than pet store rats. There's no way around that. They've been bred for better health, better temperament, and lastly looks. If your breeder rats are falling so ill so quickly, or continuously getting health problems, I wouldn't call that a good breeder. Any breeder who sells only colors that are in high demand is not an ethical breeder. It takes good breeders several generations to get the sort of markings and colors they want on a perfectly healthy rat. If all they ever seem to have are trendy markings, they're not doing much with their lines.

Before I got my two breeder girls, I asked alot of questions, did alot of research. Many of TEK's breeder rats have lived 2+ yrs, and my Grey's great grandfather just turned 3. I have every hope that she'll be just as long lived and healthy so long as I provide her with the best care. Since speaking with many breeders on the subject, all of which I know personally and respect, I've learned that just because someone is popular doesn't make them a good breeder. Just because they've been breeding for 10+yrs doesn't make them a good breeder. There are dozens of red flags that can help you make that decision.

I will never purchase an animal from a petstore. I refuse to support their practices of rat mills. I will always take in rescues, though. Those animals that really need our help, more so even than those kiddos at the pet store.

Breeders may say their first priority is health, but to me that is a lie. Honestly how can you know you are breeding for health most rats don't get sick until past breeding age. It's more about markings and colors. To me there is no such thing as a perfectly healthy rat.
What kind of red flags does ratz realm have? Everyone gets rats shipped from her and I haven't heard of any red flags. If I sound bitter I am, because I'm tired of losing rats.

I know that in Canada, there are no real ethical breeders. But there are a few that javakittie speaks of that actually do care and try to breed for health first. I've heard of the breeders in question bring their rats to the vets quite often, retire those that are sick or develop tumors. I wish we had some dedicated breeders in Canada. They are out there, just got to find them.

Ratmom said:
Breeders may say their first priority is health, but to me that is a lie. Honestly how can you know you are breeding for health most rats don't get sick until past breeding age. It's more about markings and colors. To me there is no such thing as a perfectly healthy rat.
What kind of red flags does ratz realm have? Everyone gets rats shipped from her and I haven't heard of any red flags. If I sound bitter I am, because I'm tired of losing rats.

I can totally understand your reasoning, ratmom. It's difficult enough to lose them and to deal with the illnesses when they're from bad stock, but to be sold the moon and the stars over a wee rat only to have it turn out badly.. Well, it's doubly awful for everyone.

I know that the breeders I researched are breeding for those things I find most important [health, temperament] because I've sat down and talked with them - business and on a more personal level, I've asked around about them, researched their lines, did thousands of searches on their rats, etc.. Alot of information is out there, even just from people's personal web pages and forum posts about the rats they received from particular breeders. In the case of TEK, I also had the luxury of being able to speak with his apprentices and breeders who cross lines with his, ask their opinions of the rats, of his rattery in general among other things. I made out well because he is so very involved in the rat community that nearly everyone knows atleast of him, if not knows him personally.

In a more general sense.. You know a line is healthy because the breeder has kept up with their lines. You know a rat is healthy because the breeder knows the lines [and any issues] back several generations. No, it's not 100% guaranteed, but when you've bred that line for 4+ yrs and have seen several litters come through and have had no issues for all those generations.. Well, it's almost as good as.

I would feel weird going through and pointing out particulars on any one breeder, and I don't know the rules about that on here. But, I can give you the list of Red Flags I go through when I look at a breeder.

There are a few basics such as - Anyone claiming to have bred out all tumors, myco, illnesses, etc.. That is impossible. Anyone claiming they can breed pet store stock into good stock is completely wrong. If, in their 'care' section, they say that cedar and pine might be okay, or that store bought seed mixes are okay, aquariums are okay [for anything other than maternity cages] or anything along the lines of the basic info every new rat owner is given, don't deal with them. One of my personal points is if they can't afford to have their own web page [something not hosted on a free website type thing] then I refuse to deal with them.

How old are the does when bred, under 6mo or over 1yr is a Big Red Flag. If they're bred more than 3 times, another Big Red Flag.

How many litters do they have? If they have several in a year [5+], or several within a month, Big Red Flag. The breeders I know will not have more than 2-3litters a month max. There is no way to socialize 5+ litters, track all health, and properly care for all of your other rats.

Are all of the rats from knows sources. You would be surprised how many people think 'Unknown [insert letters here] rat' is good enough. Anything saying Unknown, Pet store, or rats with no letters is a Big Red Flag. I go so far as to research the lines of the breeders they outcross with, and apply all the same questions.

Do a majority of the rats have unusual markings, like blazes, masks, caps, etc.. Many of these markings are High White, which is the carrier for Megacolon [deadly condition]. Big Red Flag. Any breeder saying you can safely breed high whites is lying. There are such things as safe markings that are similar, but they are fairly specific in what coat colors and patterns they come in.

Do they provide proper care for their rats. Does everyone look healthy, are the babies scrawny at all, are the cages clean and up to your standards of housing, do they provide good vet care, etc.. If no to any of the above, Red Flag.

Do they have left overs from previous litters, but are still breeding? If yes, Big Red Flag. If they couldn't find homes for that lot, then they don't need to be making more to not place on good homes. Good breeders have good waiting lists.

Some other things that raise flags for me are:
Do they charge different prices depending on age, markings, etc.. The breeders I know and trust charge a standard price for all babies.

If they get huffy after you ask them any of these questions, it's a Red Flag. If they won't answer your questions now, they won't be there to answer them later.

In the end I talk with them. See how I feel about them after a casual chat with just some questions on their practices and standards.

I really hope that helps in some fashion! From what I've heard, the breeders in Canada are less than exemplary.

We had a rat before our kids were born, She was from a pet store and lived to be almost 4 years old. We never had a single health issue with her. yes I know thats almost impossible to believe but its very true.

I personally have never gotten a rattie from a breeder, but I do know someone who breeds and has bred for a little over 5 years. Her rats for the most part have been fairly healthy, but then again there have been those who have had their health issues.

I personally dont see how a breeder would be any better than a pet store. The only main difference I would see is that you may be able to get a specific color ect from a breeder that you may not be able to get from a pet store.

If a rattie is going to get sick, its going to get sick. It doesnt matter where he or she came from. I do believe that good care in the ratties home is a big factor in how healthy and long lived that rattie will be.

I have nothing against breeders nor againt petstores. If not for pet stores, we would not have our 5 wonderful boys that we do now. I do not regret for one moment bringing them home.

I dont say anything in this to upset anyone at all. I know breeders try to work hard at breeding good healthy ratties, but there is only so much you can do in breeding. Rats get cancer, they get respitory issues, I personally do not believe there is anything you can do to breed that out of them. Its just part of owning a rattie and something that you hope you dont have to deal with to soon. We have been very fortunate to not have issues at this point with our boys and Im very thankful for that.

Pet store rats generally come from mills. They do not receive health care, good nutrition, intellectual stimulation, a safe, relatively stress free environment and socialization. No care was taken to pick out the parents re. health issues, and they may be inbred for generations.

With respect to breeders, I haven't seen any breeder rats that are healthier than rescues or pet store rats I have had. People say they are breeding for health but .... If breeders do not keep good records of their lines including the babies adopted out, how long they lived and what they died from, how do they know their rats are healthier? IMO this info. needs to be made available if claims of ethical breeding are made.

As previously stated, the care a rat receives makes a huge difference to its health and life span.

Javakittie, the breeder you spoke about sounds great. Thanks for posting the suggested red flags.

Back