Pet Supplies without supporting pet sales.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little_Vixen said:
Have you tried linking your bank account to a paypal account? That way, you could pull money from your account to PayPal and then easily would be able to pay through paypal online. Though I do here there are a few, rare few, places that won't take paypal

I have tried though I couldn't complete the account. I suppose I'll have to try again.
I still don't get why debit cards aren't used, I mean, if the cards rejected for having little or no balance, you just don't sell the person the item. Hows that any different from a credit card being rejected?

Tarah said:
It would be so much easier if they wern't all online stores.
You need a credit card for places like that, and a 19 and 17 year old don't have credit cards.

You can use a Debit bank card for that too, I've actually never had a credit card, and I shop online all the time.

Jen's right. Just go to the bank and ask for a single cheque from the debit account (chequing or savings) that you want to use. You need some numbers on it to sign up online.

Our cage - Martins
Food - Flower Town Chinchillas http://www.chinchilla.ca and we buy our other pet food from a local Pet Store that doesnt sell animals and promotes adoptions.
Fleece/Materials - Wal-mart, Dollarama, Garage Sale, SPCA Thrift Store and old clothes.
Litter, water bottle, bowls -Wal-mart
Tubes - Hardware stores
Toys - Kids toys that my skin kid doesnt play with or Dollarama.
Veggies & fruit - Grocery stores

Some places are nice enough to take Email Interac, which is simple. If you have a bank account, set up online banking. Interac is easy to use, you just send to their email, they do the rest. It cost $1.50 to use and I believe Credit Unions don't have the abitlity to (they have Hyperwallet). I dont think us Canadians have those Debit type credit cards. I remember working for HP and accepting Credit Card for tech support and those cards were always brought up, I have no clue what they are! I think we have Debit for machines and Credit Cards for online. The activation fee's on the pre paids suck.

There is also the option of getting one of them cards you put $300 on, and spend $300. You put money on to spend, rather than them giving you money to spend and you pay it back.

Most store will accept Money Orders as well through Canada Post or Western Union. A bit more costly, but they work. Once it clears, they send out what you order.

PitLuvs said:
Some places are nice enough to take Email Interac, which is simple. If you have a bank account, set up online banking. Interac is easy to use, you just send to their email, they do the rest. It cost $1.50 to use and I believe Credit Unions don't have the abitlity to (they have Hyperwallet). I dont think us Canadians have those Debit type credit cards. I remember working for HP and accepting Credit Card for tech support and those cards were always brought up, I have no clue what they are! I think we have Debit for machines and Credit Cards for online. The activation fee's on the pre paids suck.

There is also the option of getting one of them cards you put $300 on, and spend $300. You put money on to spend, rather than them giving you money to spend and you pay it back.

Most store will accept Money Orders as well through Canada Post or Western Union. A bit more costly, but they work. Once it clears, they send out what you order.

Canadians can pay from their bank account with paypal. Also, not all banks offer e-mail cheques/Interac.

I don't know if you can shop from Canada, but I use Rat Shop a lot. www.ratshop.com
I got hammocks, and Harlan Teklad lab blocks and igloo. They sell pretty much everything you need in rat care, including medications for rats. I think the owner of this shop also started the rat rescue years ago, and the profit supports the rescue.
Unfortunately they don't carry YN, so I went Petco for that....

PitLuvs said:
victoria said:
Canadians can pay from their bank account with paypal. Also, not all banks offer e-mail cheques/Interac.

Which ones don't? I know TD, RBC, Scotia and B of M do. The major ones at least.

The "big 5" (BMO, CIBC, TD, RBC, Scotiabank) all do but PC Financial, HSBC, Laurentian, Desjardins (a large network of credit unions), and National Bank are among the ones that don't. Here's a complete list of the ones that do: http://www.interac.ca/consumers/product ... t_list.php

Though it was posted a lot time ago in this thread, I want to say that I'm so happy to hear that Pet Valu seems to be a company that people support. :) I work at a corporate Pet Valu store and they do NOT allow animals in the store save for some of the store have shelter cats from the Humane Society. Our store does not have cats, though from what I've seen the stores that do have cats take really great care of them. It's so great to work in a store that supports the ethical treatment of animals! We do fundraisers in our store for animals, including our most recent "Easter Bunny Pictures" fundraiser that we did to raise money for the small animals at the humane society. We are a small store with a small staff base and it's so great that we are able to do these things. We hope to have more exciting fundraisers in the future.
Thanks for mentioning them here. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that we are supported. :)

twitch said:
for treats, CNs, edstrom water buddy water bottles, ropes, chew toys, balls, sandy perches and forageing toys: http://www.healthybird.net

As much as I loved healthybird.net, and there is a lot of things that are made for birds that you can use for rats (which you obviously already know).
Don't you think it's a little expensive?

Some of these may be a bit more expensive to Canada but I'll go anyway:

http://www.ozbo.com igloos, huts, hideouts, toys, litter pans, bedding, etc.

http://www.ratwarehouse.com (UK Site with very reasonable INT'L shipping) Treats, chews, hammocks, lounges, toys, etc.

http://www.mainelyratrescue.orgSells Harlan, hammocks, toys, treats, chews, hideouts, bowls, water bottles, etc.

Also, I don't know if this is an option for Canadians, but in the US you can get CN's free shipping at a good price from walmart.com.

Back