Pet Supplies without supporting pet sales.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAh, zellers bridgewater's pet section is going downhill. Im thinking maybe the city zellers may have it..... just read SQ's post though...sobeys may have it.... students get 10$ off on tuesdays with an air miles card....thats where i will be buying it!!!! I have been looking all week.... im sure ill have enough litter to hold off till tuesday!

I was just thinking of suggesting a topic like this :D

Jane (smallvic) just suggested http://montrealcritters.com/ to me... it looks great. They sell bedding (Carefresh, Yesterdays News, and aspen among others), toys, food (Oxbow, Martin's Little Friends, and Vita +), and some accessories. And they have flat rate shipping ($10) within Canada :joy:

Tarah said:
It would be so much easier if they wern't all online stores.
You need a credit card for places like that, and a 19 and 17 year old don't have credit cards.
Montreal Critters has the option to pay using Paypal and I think (although I've never done it) you an pay from your bank account.

I've seen this site on other boards for CN's (I love my CN!)
http://www.chinchilla.ca/index.php

minuke99 said:
I like Pet Value franchises. I've never seen any pets for sale, but they often have cats available for adoption from the local HS's free ranging in their stores. They also sell the smaller bags of YN, which I have to get since I don't have a lot of storage room.
Pet Valus are franchises, and from speaking to on owner in the past it's my impression that it's up to them whether or not they sell animals, coordinate with shelters, or only offer supplies. They also decide what they carry, so they may be able to special order something if they don't carry it.

Rescues are great places to get hammocks from if you're not the type to make your own - they're cheaper and better than anything at the pet store and you can get them custom made (sizes, colours, etc.) Chelle's Critter Haven and Henry's Mum both make hammocks, among others.

I got my cage liners and some cubes from http://hhhammocks.web.officelive.com/default.aspx... not a rescue but nonetheless a responsible pet owner... very happy with them.

For those of you in the UK, Fuzzbutt has amazing products. By far the best cubes I've ever bought. I bought from them before I came on the forum and saw how many people made them in Canada... I would love to buy from her again but the shipping to Canada is as much as the cubes so I'll have to wait until someone visits me from the UK.

http://www.fuzzbutt.co.uk/

Every store in my immediate area sells animals of one kind or another except 1 Pet Valu and I never go there because the shelves are always emply! I don't have to many options........my critters need their goodies. :D

Tarah said:
You need a credit card for places like that, and a 19 and 17 year old don't have credit cards.

Tarah:

Do you have a checking or savings account? If so, you can have a debit card, which acts like a credit card???

You could set up an account just for your ratties, and know how much you have to spend and draw off of that using a debit or check card, at least that is what they are called here in the USA

I am almost 22 and don't have a credit card (my credit rating is awful lol), but i use my debit card for online transactions, ive had it since i was 16. You should ask your bank

Went to Wallmart yesterday and did not find any rat blocks infact all they had for rats was a seed mixture. I will try Zellers today to see but if I don't find it there...I'll have to keep going where they sell pets.

Extrusion is marketed for Hamsters, not rats, although it's totally acceptable for them. I've never seen extrusion at my Walmarts, though :(

Walmart used to sell the Hagen/Living World hamster lab blocks but stopped carrying it a few years ago.
Zellars sells small bags of the extrusian but it is sometimes out of stock.

mamie said:
Went to Wallmart yesterday and did not find any rat blocks infact all they had for rats was a seed mixture. I will try Zellers today to see but if I don't find it there...I'll have to keep going where they sell pets.

Did you try Pet Value? I see you have two of them in your area but wondering do they sell pets at yours? Our Pet Value does not only has adoptive cats from spcas for adoption. I know when i use to go there for my cat food(cat was on a expensive diet at the time) They had the extrusions there.

anyways here is some info if you want to call them before going there:

Southridge Mall
1933 Regent Street Unit #17A
Sudbury, ON, P3E 5R2
(705) 522-9162

1540D LaSalle Blvd
Sudbury, ON, P3A 1Z7
(705) 566-2173

Tarah said:

I agree

You *could* always get reloadable credit cards... they're apparently usable online and you can get them at some banks. I've never had one but, it's a thought.

I had a credit card at 19.... yay BC!

In BC I shop at Tisol for food (oxbow) and treats (hanging coated stick thingies)

And I shop at a local pet store with 2 locations in Victoria called 'A Pet's Life' for everything else.
'A Pet's Life' doesn't have good food, but it has great prices on everything else and lots of all natural organic wood chews, since it's Victoria and we're all hippies! lol.

For housing i shop at whatever fabric store has cheap fabric, and dollar stores, particularly dollar giant.

I'm lucky enough that my husband is in the works with our local feed mill to have our own rat food made.
The feed mill 10 mins down the road from us will make rat food (simular formula as rat ration, tho we are trying to get it changed abit for less protien).
Only problem is we have to buy it buy the ton >.< BUT that means we will be getting fourty 25kg bags for around $9 to $10 a bag.
I may also be oftering this food to memebers of the rat shack,but more on that when the time comes.
But until that is done we get our food and treats from alittle store in Mount Forest called Spoil Me Pets. Tho small she does everything she can to get what we ask for in and doesn't sell animals.
Walmart is our stop for yesterdays new, we feel better about going there now that they don't sell fish.

I go to Oly's Pet Connection for just about everything, rats, cats, dog and fish. They have a wide selection of foods, treats, toys, cages etc. Oly's sells fish but not feeders and is an SPCA satellite cat adoption centre.

Agri Feed Pet Supply of Knoxville. A Locally owned feed/pet store that the only animal they actually sell is fish and the fish have great huge tanks. The only animals that are there are animals they foster from rescue groups and they offer adoptions on Saturdays. The prices for cages however, leave me feeling a little sad (Found a cage they had for 100 less on a pet site). Overall good people :D

Unfortunately, I'm also in the 'no credit card, no online purchases' group.

I do have a debit but they aren't supported for online purchases as, of course, they can't guarantee you've the money to pay for it. I guess there's also less security in a way. (I do believe they're working on making debit purchases, but it'll be years before any proper businesses switch over and start taking them)

Regarding reloadable credit cards, I got one for Christmas: not worth it. It was a $50 card, it had to be activated for $25 on the purchase of the card (I assume the activation is always 50% or card's face value), and after three months it docks $5 (I think) from the card until its empty. I got $10 out of it, before I noticed it had eaten up all the money my parents paid. Useless.

I've a bunch of certificates to Amazon.ca, which had me super excited until I noticed Amazon.ca doesn't actually sell anything other than bestselling books and electronics. I can't even buy homeware to convert into rat junk.

I'm stuck to the dollarstore, which is great, but still pretty depressing.

Have you tried linking your bank account to a paypal account? That way, you could pull money from your account to PayPal and then easily would be able to pay through paypal online. Though I do here there are a few, rare few, places that won't take paypal

Back