Pet rats - why it's important to have two or more

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*Rebel_Angel* said:
Awwww! So cute!
I'm maybe thinking of getting another girl..but I dunno, the girl I got my cage from said that she had three in there...it's a pretty big cage too.
But the only problem I have is being a horrible rat mommy and I never seem to give them enough place, and toy's to play with. *sigh*

Are intro's hard to do?

Intros can go either way... it all depends on each rat's personality.

I must have hit the character lottery because of both of my boys and girls, both (FF and MM) pairs are of a grumpy laze-about and a playful happy busy body. Inside its always a sibling fight over the hammock or the plentiful food, outside its always "You go this way and I'll go the other." They love everyone else though and are as happy as happy can be and I know deep inside they love each other :dance: If I pick one up the other is never short behind. lol

I like just having one, and I admit I dont see the problem.
I wouldnt have minded having adopted 2 that I knew would get along,it was my original plan, but when I got there it was just my one girl.
I really would never convince, nor would I want to convince my husband to have to adopt maybe several more rats in hopes that
they would get along when I might just as likely end up with 2 or 3 rats in separate cages we dont have room for and having
to divide my attention to all of them.
Having just one is a perfect fit for our family. I am a stay at home mom,
my kids and I give her attention whenever she is awake. She has a large area for freerange for the majority
of the day. the kids and I play with her throughout the day, she is part of our family.
in the morning & evening she cuddles up on my lap and pet her and she 'grooms' my hands.
She stays up late with my husband and I in the living room and joins us for movies or snuggles with me while I read.
So maybe Im selfish, Id miss this special bond if she were off playing with another rat instead of interacting with me. We love her and she's happy.
She loves us and we're happy. :)

emberanne said:
I like just having one, and I admit I dont see the problem.
I wouldnt have minded having adopted 2 that I knew would get along,it was my original plan, but when I got there it was just my one girl.
I really would never convince, nor would I want to convince my husband to have to adopt maybe several more rats in hopes that
they would get along when I might just as likely end up with 2 or 3 rats in separate cages we dont have room for and having
to divide my attention to all of them.
Having just one is a perfect fit for our family. I am a stay at home mom,
my kids and I give her attention whenever she is awake. She has a large area for freerange for the majority
of the day. the kids and I play with her throughout the day, she is part of our family.
in the morning & evening she cuddles up on my lap and pet her and she 'grooms' my hands.
She stays up late with my husband and I in the living room and joins us for movies or snuggles with me while I read.
So maybe Im selfish, Id miss this special bond if she were off playing with another rat instead of interacting with me. We love her and she's happy.

I believe that any rat, no matter how well they're being taken care of, needs the company of at least one of their species. A human cannot interact the same way with a rat. Rats are social creatures, they naturally live in structured (alpha, beta rat) groups, and they aren't like dogs who see people as their leader, their master. They might be domesticated, but still the interaction with their own species is more important. Why not get your rat a companion? As everyone would say, it's not that it'll be harder to take care of 2. I believe that your rat will be truly happy. Just because your rat is used to you, and enjoys your company, does not mean it doesn't need another rat's company. Also, I'd agree that not getting her a companion because you'd miss her special bond is selfish-just as many things people do when getting pets (or even the idea itself of a pet in a cage could be considered selfish). Your rat is giving you so much attention because...well, there isn't anyone else. But, even if you had more rats, she'd still recognize that you're giving her food, that you're showing her affection. It doesn't mean she'd ignore you. Seriously. Imagine you lived with 1 pet animal and no human interaction at all. You would love the animal, a lot, but still interacting with a human wouldn't be on the same level. Similarily, the rat is used to you and likes you, but she's made to interact with her own species better.
It's a very good thing that you're giving her enough space to free range. But if you want your rat to be complete, please get her another rat or two. As I already said, the general idea that we people choose to put animals in cages so we can admire them or take care of them is selfish. Even when we have good intentions. So, it's our duty for the animal's welfare to give them the best possible enviromment and enrichment it requires. It's not that I'm critisizing you, or act that I'm a better owner-no, not at all-I'm just stating that we have to try for the best when we keep animals-especially in cages. I often wonder about that-is this so bad for the animal? Or is it used to being in a cage (a safe area for it) and therefore, it's okay with that?
Well, I think I went off-topic. Anyway.

So what am I to do if I adopt a new rat-they fight and hate eachother and then I have 2 rats who have no 'rat' companions and I have to keep them separate all the time or rehome one of them?
That multiplies the problem and doesnt fix it. It really isn't an option. Ive already discussed it with my husband and he doesnt want
to have the above situation happen and we've seen it happen even with rats adopted as familiar cagemates.

If my rat is so miserable adopted into our human family then why does she act so happy and content all the time?
Maybe she'd be happier with a companion. maybe she'd be happier with a mate, maybe she'd be happier being able to choose her mate out of a pick of 8. maybe she'd be happier in the wild having as many litters of babies as she wanted and getting eaten by a crow.
Im not an expert but Im good with animals. She just plays with me because theres no one else for her to?
maybe this isnt the right place for me, I thought Id find friends to share the love and enjoyment of having pet rats with.
because they are often such misunderstood animals and most people give me a look of disgust when they hear our choice of house pet that all of my family loves so much.
here I was looking forward to finding understanding here but ive been spending some time reading here and Im not sure Im going to find it.
I understand
your opinion whether or not I have to agree with it, which I dont, and while my opinion tends to be blunt the only emotion im feeling is disappointment.
Oh well, maybe me and my miserable rat will be accepted somewhere else.

emberanne said:
So what am I to do if I adopt a new rat-they fight and hate eachother and then I have 2 rats who have no 'rat' companions and I have to keep them separate all the time or rehome one of them?
That multiplies the problem and doesnt fix it. It really isn't an option. Ive already discussed it with my husband and he doesnt want
to have the above situation happen and we've seen it happen even with rats adopted as familiar cagemates.

If my rat is so miserable adopted into our human family then why does she act so happy and content all the time?
Maybe she'd be happier with a companion. maybe she'd be happier with a mate, maybe she'd be happier being able to choose her mate out of a pick of 8. maybe she'd be happier in the wild having as many litters of babies as she wanted and getting eaten by a crow.
Im not an expert but Im good with animals. She just plays with me because theres no one else for her to?
maybe this isnt the right place for me, I thought Id find friends to share the love and enjoyment of having pet rats with.
because they are often such misunderstood animals and most people give me a look of disgust when they hear our choice of house pet that all of my family loves so much.
here I was looking forward to finding understanding here but ive been spending some time reading here and Im not sure Im going to find it.
I understand
your opinion whether or not I have to agree with it, which I dont, and while my opinion tends to be blunt the only emotion im feeling is disappointment.
Wow... calm down there.
All this frustration and guilt is no reason to act so immaturely. You need to be logical and not fly off the handle like this.
First of all... rats are social animals. They are not meant to live alone. How many hours do you spend with her? 2? 4? What about the other 20 hours a day. Don't confuse her loneliness with happiness to see you. In fact, lone rats that bond so strongly to their human is proof right there that they are lonely and in search, need of companionship.
It's really too bad you have decided to be immature about this instead of learning and working towards a better life for your rat.

emberanne said:
It is selfish. And it's not love if you say you'd rather have her lonely so long as she'll bond with you. Very sad.

emberanne said:

I understand

First of all, calm down. I didn't call you or your rat miserable and no one said you're unwelcomed in the forum. I tried to explain my opinion as to why, rats are not meant to live alone (alone meaning with no rat companion). I'll do this once more now. To begin with, why getting a new rat means they're going to fight and hate each other? Females are generally easier to get along than males, and even I, being new to the rat-keeping thing, have successfully gone through this 6 times. Introduce properly, with no rush, two new rats and soon, it's very likely they'll be fine in the same cage and they'll bond with each other. Even my neurotic, grumpy old female accepted the young ratties I brought in and she now grooms them like they're her babies.

You mentioned you let your rat free range, play with her-and it's very good, HOWEVER...getting her a companion will make your rat truly content.

I tried to relay that I wasnt 'flying off the handle' merely disappointed in the judgmental response. It came off judgmental perhaps just as my response came off as ' dramatic'.
I speak frankly, doesnt mean im sitting behind my computer screen fuming out my ears or sobbing dramatically.
If sharing your opinion is ok then it should be ok for me to share mine.
I dont honestly feel that I would be welcome here unless I decided to agree with the majority. It sure is feeling that way so far.

To clear it up easily Ive already said that it isnt an option for me.
when I adopted her, it was just her. My husband would not agree to adopt a pair unless they were adopted together as cagemates.
It didnt happen that way. Now, I cant un-adopt her. I made the choice to rescue her as she was because I knew I could
offer her a good home and because I love rats very much.
My entire family is very attached to her, giving her away is out of the question. Selfishness or not, im not ripping her away from
my children who adore her as much as I do.
I could sneak out and get another rat against my husbands wishes, and maybe it comes as a surprise to you, but between them I actually love my husband more and would never do such a thing.

I agree that it would be ideal to have a pair but thats not how it happened. Next time it will be my intent like it was originally.
however, I will not believe that my little girl is unhappy. She is healthy, active, curious, gentle and loves all the members of our family.
unless I can be accepted here, having the opinions that I have and having made the decisions that have been made-
I dont see the point of me sticking around. I suggest a warmer welcome and gentler response to other newcomers in the future.

Most people join forums to learn about the topic on the forums. To share goofy pictures to laugh about the silly antics that others may not find humorous. Rats are not a mainstream pets and most people in outside life dont understand the cuteness. Which is what make the forum grand.

I do not see where anyone said for you to give up your rat. Nor do I see anyone saying anything out of line. You are being very defensive which in turn, will cause people to act that way towards you. Maybe you should ask question about why they think it is ideal to have more than one rat. Rather than holding a stance and acting like it is proper to be on defense mode on a forum you just joined.

You said you have children. Why did you have more than one? I know I had two because I did not one my oldest one to be alone. The same thing goes with rats. Which is the only reason people here tried to explain. Rats live in colonies as wolves live in packs. It is more natural for them. You will not see a rat saying, "well I hate rats, I shall be a hermit." There is a closeness that a human cannot give a rat, we know because most of us have colonies or have had colonies of large numbers.

It is bad enough that half the pets have been put into a pet setting but to make it as natural as possible for the ones we did domesticate is the best thing a pet owner can do.

No one told you to agree, but to be so adamant on not learning or changing is very selfish. If you have never had more than one rat, then there is no way for you to possible understand the dynamics of a colony and how they exists. If you feel growing as a pet owner is out of the question then it may not be the place for you, but we are not saying that. We welcome anyone here and we will drop everything to help that person in an emergency.

I hope you decide to stay. I really think seeing how these rats interact in a pair would be a great learning curve for you and your family.

hopefloats said:
Most people join forums to learn about the topic on the forums. To share goofy pictures to laugh about the silly antics that others may not find humorous. Rats are not a mainstream pets and most people in outside life dont understand the cuteness. Which is what make the forum grand.

I do not see where anyone said for you to give up your rat. Nor do I see anyone saying anything out of line. You are being very defensive which in turn, will cause people to act that way towards you. Maybe you should ask question about why they think it is ideal to have more than one rat. Rather than holding a stance and acting like it is proper to be on defense mode on a forum you just joined.

You said you have children. Why did you have more than one? I know I had two because I did not one my oldest one to be alone. The same thing goes with rats. Which is the only reason people here tried to explain. Rats live in colonies as wolves live in packs. It is more natural for them. You will not see a rat saying, "well I hate rats, I shall be a hermit." There is a closeness that a human cannot give a rat, we know because most of us have colonies or have had colonies of large numbers.

It is bad enough that half the pets have been put into a pet setting but to make it as natural as possible for the ones we did domesticate is the best thing a pet owner can do.

No one told you to agree, but to be so adamant on not learning or changing is very selfish. If you have never had more than one rat, then there is no way for you to possible understand the dynamics of a colony and how they exists. If you feel growing as a pet owner is out of the question then it may not be the place for you, but we are not saying that. We welcome anyone here and we will drop everything to help that person in an emergency.

I hope you decide to stay. I really think seeing how these rats interact in a pair would be a great learning curve for you and your family.

did you read what I wrote about not having the option?
or saying how yes, a pair is ideal?
I dont disagree it would be ideal and not saying I know more than everyone else here. Yes, I came here to learn more and to share joy of having a companion animal that most people misunderstand.
I thought I was pretty clear about only disagreeing that my rat is unhappy. An adopted rat is already 10 times happier than one that is homeless.
Im sorry its not an option for me to get another one. Im not going to hang out in a place where Im judged for that.
Please reread my post above as I explained WHY we cannot get another one. I myself am NOT against doing so as I said above already.
I do expect to be able to have an opinion without people jumping down my throat about it. My original post about saying how I thought my single rat was just fine as she was got what I thought to be a ungentle, judgmental response to a simple, not unkind statement of my opinion.
Of course I defended in turn. I would concede to a misunderstanding in online translation but
I still dont feel as If im being heard as I continue to say I agree with 2 or more being ideal but nobody seems to be reading that.
Im at a loss at how you expect me to proceed?

You are more than welcome to have an opinion but not on a thread we use as an education key to stop people from keeping a single pet rat. You may understand, which I DO see you saying but there are a lot of individuals who don't understand. We strongly feel that they need friends. That is the purpose of this thread.

If you agree that they need friends but are unable to, then so be it. Drop down the wall and let us know your rat. Maybe we can help you convince your hubby? :laugh4: We know tricks... I had to slowly let my fiance figure out that the rat room was needed. My idea horrible, his idea, the best thing that ever happened. I swear he thought he was the smartest man alive that day........

Start over, post a photo of your rattie in the rat chat section. Tell us how you would prefer her to have friend but right now that isn't an option. Give us a chance we will understand. Fill us in on all her little quirks.

I did read that at the time of adoption, there was only your girl available, that's not a problem at all to keep a lone rat for a short time, I did the same when I got my 1st rat, she came to me as a lone girl.

But, I started looking for a companion right away, coming from the guinea pig "world" I fully understood that they are social animals and she couldn't stay a lone girl, but I really did not know much about rats AT ALL....LOL so the group grew to 3 rats quickly and it stayed that way for awhile.

my numbers have fluctuated in the last 2 yrs of rat ownership, from 3 to 20 and back to 11 now.
I mainly keep a female rat colony, but I currently have 5 boys.

Having intro multiple females rats, from my personal experience, VERY rarely do you find females who dont get along. My suggestion to you is to find 2 young female rats and let your girl blossom with them, you WILL see her change, I promise you, and you will have hours of enjoyement watching a group play, that's a promise too :)

kscanuck785 said:
I did read that at the time of adoption, there was only your girl available, that's not a problem at all to keep a lone rat for a short time, I did the same when I got my 1st rat, she came to me as a lone girl.

But, I started looking for a companion right away, coming from the guinea pig "world" I fully understood that they are social animals and she couldn't stay a lone girl, but I really did not know much about rats AT ALL....LOL so the group grew to 3 rats quickly and it stayed that way for awhile.

my numbers have fluctuated in the last 2 yrs of rat ownership, from 3 to 20 and back to 11 now.
I mainly keep a female rat colony, but I currently have 5 boys.

Having intro multiple females rats, from my personal experience, VERY rarely do you find females who dont get along. My suggestion to you is to find 2 young female rats and let your girl blossom with them, you WILL see her change, I promise you, and you will have hours of enjoyement watching a group play, that's a promise too :)

I understand that. and agree. but it still remains a non option for me.(last time im going to repeat it) Thanks anyways.

I'm not sure why it is such a non option anyways...rats a available pretty much anywhere so are cages, and the fact that you *think* females might not get along, is really a non issue.

then if YOU choose not to look for a companion, YOU are making this a non option for your rat and are refusing to learn anything from us, experienced pet rat owners.

kscanuck785 said:
I'm not sure why it is such a non option anyways...rats a available pretty much anywhere so are cages, and the fact that you *think* females might not get along, is really a non issue.

then if YOU choose not to look for a companion, YOU are making this a non option for your rat and are refusing to learn anything from us, experienced pet rat owners.

Its impossible that youve actually taken the time to read what I have previously wrote. getting a second rat is a decision not agreed upon by my husband and I.

YOU are refusing to lend ear and listen to my actual situation. Thanks for the experience guys. I wont be returning.
I really urge you to be more patient and understanding with newcomers that join in the future.

Back