Pet rat quandary

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schpier

Hi, I have had the privilege of housing many pet rats. How do members rationalize the sad truth that the little love buddies will die relatively soon after one has learned to bind with them? Personally , I cannot handle the grief of such predictable loss. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

I think for me I’ve just accepted that their lives are shorter than I want and found ways to give them the best lives for the time that they do have. I find their favorite foods, things to play in and sleep in, then I try to have as much fun with them as I can in the time I’m given. It hurts when they leave but I have so many good memories and pictures that I can still hold onto. I love them too much to think a lot about the time we have left. I just try to focus on spoiling them and enjoying every second.

They're just super-super lovely. And, in my view, it's best to have a pet that you absolutely adore for however short a time than a pet that you're just lukewarm about and who's lukewarm about you for decades.

Another point to consider is that they're already here and have their lives ahead of them, whether you take them in or someone else or no-one at all. So if it's you and you love them, they'll probably have the best life they can possibly have.

Back