Pet rat likely dying

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccostab1

Hi - I've had my first pet rats for 18 months and one of them is sick and the vet said he'll probably pass in the next few days. Is there anything I can do to make him comfortable? I've separated him from his brother, I'm cleaning him and having water/favorite foods around... he's all yellow (eyes, ears, skin, tail) and the vet thinks it's his liver...

He’s not eating or drinking much, and he’s very lethargic, not reacting much to touch... his eyes are sunken and I’ve been cleaning him because he’s not grooming himself. 😢

Attachments

• BB1220F4-958F-4EA0-B9D1-B721CABF1C84.jpeg
    BB1220F4-958F-4EA0-B9D1-B721CABF1C84.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 27B3A3F3-B245-48C7-8777-69E8A503E3D3.jpeg
    27B3A3F3-B245-48C7-8777-69E8A503E3D3.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 141
If he is suffering, please have him humanely put to sleep (pts) by a vet that knows how to do it humanely - most don't.
Please see end of life information on our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

I am so sorry that this is happening to your little boy.
He may be more comfortable staying with his brother until he is pts.
Rats are not normally separated when ill as they usually do better with their friends and family.

If he is suffering, please have him humanely put to sleep (pts) by a vet that knows how to do it humanely - most don't.
Please see end of life information on our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Rats are not normally separated when ill as they usually do better with their friends and family.
I agree with SQ. He shouldn't be separated. He needs his family more than ever now. I also agree that he should be put to sleep properly.

Thanks! He doesn't seem to be in pain, but is very weak. The vet asked me to separate them in case he has something his brother could catch... I'll probably bring him to the vet tonight...

I’m so sorry :( it’s always hard but with your first rats even more so as you don’t know what to expect. When our first rat Pippin was in her last days we also separated her but have since learnt that it is much better to keep them with their friends. I can see from the photos his fur is all puffed up and he is hunched over which are both signs of pain. Again something we learnt along the way, they are so good at hiding it :( sending best wishes to you and your ratties. <3

Back