Peeing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

Phoe is a sweetheart (like her pictures hint at) but I'm having a devil of a time "toilet training" her. I can't take her out without her doing something on me and I'm not altogether sure it's from fear. Of all the rats I've owned I don't remember this being an issue with the others so being new at this, how do I fix it?

If it is fear, do I let her go back in the cage and reinforce the notion that if she pees she gets left alone or should I ignore it?

Bronwyn said:
Phoe is a sweetheart (like her pictures hint at) but I'm having a devil of a time "toilet training" her. I can't take her out without her doing something on me and I'm not altogether sure it's from fear. Of all the rats I've owned I don't remember this being an issue with the others so being new at this, how do I fix it?

If it is fear, do I let her go back in the cage and reinforce the notion that if she pees she gets left alone or should I ignore it?

Ignore it. She is marking you as hers...the confident baby that she is. Get used to it like we all have. LOL. Keep a box of kleenex nearby too. ;)

Where does she pee? Does she run over your arm and pee then?

Oh I'm not talking little spots like my other two, haha, I mean like a full warm puddle! :lol:

Two nights ago it was after crawling around and then peeing on the couch while taking cover under my hoodie (that I was okay with because she may really have had to go), then last night it was within a minute of me taking her out and placing her on my lap. That I was a little concerned about, lol.

I always wake my girls up before letting them out that way they can do their business first and then come out to play. I also leave their cage where they can get to it. My girls are litter trained so they will go to the cage if they need to go during out time. :lol:

Having a rat who's fairly territorial about her mum.. Grey can really let loose when she wants to. not just the tiny spots, but a full out puddle on my arm. She'll waddle over my arm, hand, leg, shoulder and just let go.

I make sure to throw on an old tshirt before I have play time with them and keep a towel nearby.

Yeah my Dumbos are toilet trained and my previous rats were as well - same deal in that I left the cage accessible and they'd use that. Very smart ratties.

Looks like I have a different case now. ;) Paper towels are always at the ready!

I dunno... one thing I know is that they easily acquire proper poop-habits in the cage but pee-wise is hopeless.

Out of cage they never poop on the bed, nor do they do a full pee, but marking another thing altogether! Some kids are respectful, some do it sometimes, some when they first come and then get over it - and some do it like it's gonna get them treats everytime.
It seems the ones most attuned to me do it more, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with having to mark territory, more like wanting to.

Savanna was prodigeous marking me, nobody else had to be there, I think the more neurotic or needy kids are more likely to shun other rats and prefer people and are more likely to have to reassure themselves with more frequent and more voluminous markings.
Does that seem familiar to anyone or no?

Yup, it actually does. Oliver would mark me like it was his job. And no matter how hard I tried to introduce him to my baby Dexter he was extremely adament that it would not happen. Dexter didn't mark me too much. Sweetest most playful boy I've ever owned (and met). Then I switched to girls and was marked sometimes but not enough for it to stick out in my mind. The two girls I have now mark A LOT. And then there's the puddle maker in the next room. Uh oh. ;)

Back