Peeing Outside of Critter Nation?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

forumuser05

Hi! So I have had my first two female rats (around 3.5 months old) for a couple of months now, and it has been going well, except I am noticing the cage is starting to smell bad quickly. I have a CN. So far, I've had to change the fleece around 3 times a week, even with the absorbent layers I have underneath and the litter box that is in use (for the most part). I recently realized that my ratties are peeing in the corner of the cage, right where the tray ends and underneath there is wire, as well as the sides. The pee was all over the metal wires from the cage, and beneath the cage as well. I'm not sure what to do! I have tried putting coroplast and more fleece on the corners of the cage but they keep going under it or ripping it apart. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

If you don't have litterboxes with dust free, unscented litter, I'd suggest adding one or two in those corners, along with big rocks. I have big rocks in every one of my litterboxes and my boys use them to pee on them lol. I'll have to see if I have a photo anywhere, but I also buy litterboxes that have pre-made holes near the top corner of the litterbox. I'll through a bolt through that and the cage (along with some washers) and that'll properly secure the litterbox to the corner of the cage so they don't move it and burrow under the fleece. The litter should absorb their urine just as well-- my boys actually pee in their litterboxes sometimes.

Believe it or not, if you're cleaning too frequently, this'll entice rats to mark and urinate more frequently, as their home needs to smell like them. And if it doesn't, well... Time to mark it.

And make sure you wipe down those bars and trays. Some people recommend a bleach-water mix (with very diluted bleach that I can't even give the correct measurements for because I don't want to use that sort of stuff around my guys), vinegar, but I just use unscented baby wipes. Depending on the walls behind the rat cage, also wipe that down, as pee may get on walls as well.

Put large corner litter boxes with unscented paper based kitty litter in them (never used clumping litter)
It is also important to put something like a sheet of coroplast behind the cage to protect the wall, and a surface under the cage that can be washed in order to protect the floor - I use a large piece of thick linoleum

You can also use a big piece of cardboard, and change it often, or put clear contact paper on the wall behind the cage. It shouldn't harm the wall when you take it off. Use the cheap dollar store brand. I have used it for vinyl transfers, and it comes off of most everything without damaging it.

Also the pee rocks! I have a large river Rock in a litter box in each cage. In the spare litter box ( it's just a metal pan you would cook in and throw away) I don't have rocks. They usually pee on the rock, and poop in the bigger pan.

Mine had bad potty manners until I added a second, bigger pan for them.

You can also use a big piece of cardboard, and change it often, or put clear contact paper on the wall behind the cage. It shouldn't harm the wall when you take it off. Use the cheap dollar store brand. I have used it for vinyl transfers, and it comes off of most everything without damaging it.

Also the pee rocks! I have a large river Rock in a litter box in each cage. In the spare litter box ( it's just a metal pan you would cook in and throw away) I don't have rocks. They usually pee on the rock, and poop in the bigger pan.

Mine had bad potty manners until I added a second, bigger pan for them.
My boys like to dig their litter out of their litterbox, so I need lots of rocks just to prevent it from getting everywhere. For whatever reason, they also enjoy pooping on the rocks lol.

I use fresh news (similar to yesterday's news but larger and softer) for now. I had to switch from a shredded paper bedding, because my heathens like to use it for nests, and it's so light that it went everywhere. With the pellet litter, I can just pick it up and put it back. They have also started using their boxes (girls have for a couple of months, since they caught on, but the boys...) since I've switched. It's like a light bulb went on for them!

Okay thank you guys so much!!! This is the most helpful website for rat owners lol

Back