Peeing on Me???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jes

Okay so my dear darling problem child Ruby just HAS to pee on me during playtime. I take them out of their cage (mansion) and into the bathroom (our play area) and sit on the floor with them. Ruby always comes over, sits on my hand or arm and pees a little. Then 3 minuets later she comes back and does it again. Then 3 minutes later, again. Usually 3 or 4 times. EVERY TIME. Is this...normal...? And can I (should I) discourage it? How? In case you weren't sure, I don't love getting peed on.

Oh, and my other rat (my sweet baby Opal) either waits until she goes back in her cage or will just go in a corner on the floor. Which is fine.

My ratties tinkle sparingly every where they walk but I've never had them pee on me except for little dropplets. I think they are just trying to mark their territory

Many people have specific clothes they wear for rat time because they LOVE to pee on us.! They seem to be marking us as a sign that they 'own' us. I'd take it as a compliment- it means they like you.!

Like others have mentioned, Ruby may be peeing on you to mark you. She's saying you're safe and you're hers lol.

However, depending on what time playtime is, Ruby may also have to go to the bathroom. If I hold my boys after waking them up, I'm almost guaranteed to get peed on eventually. Like... full out pee lol. I could remedy this by waking them up and then giving them a couple of minutes to go potty before they lay with me. If you haven't, try adding litterboxes in their play area or giving Ruby a chance to go potty beforehand.

Or, alternatively, as Kye said, just get special ratty clothes.

Rats usually drip a small amount of pee as they walk around and on certain places they like to be, like others have already said, however there is a difference, if they full on pee on you, like not just a few dribbles but a "large" puddle, like enough to actually make a lasting wet spot then it's possible they are protesting or being dominant towards you or are very afraid.

Take it as a compliment …… you have been marked as hers
but if it was a great deal, she may have needed to pee.
When out of the cage, rats need to have access to their cage or a litter box

Back