Peeing in the Litter Box

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have three rats and they’re completely litter trained poop wise, however pee is a different story. In my cage I don’t use bedding on the bottom floor, just reusable hospital chuck pads. In their hides I place a bunch or torn up newspaper and paper towels for them to nest in, which they seem to love, but they always pee in them and not their litter box. Does anyone know a way to encourage them to start peeing in the litter box instead on their beds? I’m just worried about how unsanitary it is for them to lay in their pee for so long, so if anyone has any tips or suggestions that’d be great!

Well, I have to clean cloth beds often. Once a week is pushing it.
I have heard putting a large sanatized (washed and baked) rock in the litter boxes seems to encourage them to mark there.i havnhav personally tried it yet.

I use pee rocks. Mine are either the size of the rat, or a little bigger. They will basically rub their belly on it and pee. Each rat has a different smell, so each one will want to remark the stone with their scent. Works like a charm! I only wash mine when they get icky. That way it still has the potty smell for them to know where to go potty. I do flip it every couple of days. I use yesterday's news in their littler boxes, and fleece on their floors.

I use pee rocks as well. My boys like to mark those and the cardboard boxes.

Also, if you're worried about urine on their fur, get some unscented baby wipes and just rub down their tummies, sides, and tails. I use this for my boys and while they don't like it, it definitely is less stressful than a bath. A wet washcloth could work as well. I jut use baby products since those products are so heavily regulated.

I use baby shampoo, but I use organic, non scented, and no dyes. I once bathed my boys, and after their blow dry (which mine love) I put them in their cage, and I guess the scent was different, so one of my boys would attack the others, and my hand. I ended up rubbing some used litter on them which fixed the issue, but defeated the purpose of the bath.....so yeah, unscented wipes and wash if need be.

I use baby shampoo, but I use organic, non scented, and no dyes. I once bathed my boys, and after their blow dry (which mine love) I put them in their cage, and I guess the scent was different, so one of my boys would attack the others, and my hand. I ended up rubbing some used litter on them which fixed the issue, but defeated the purpose of the bath.....so yeah, unscented wipes and wash if need be.
How do you blowdry them without freaking them out? My dog hates the loud noise and I'm sure my babies would hate it too. Do you use the low setting then?

Yes, I use the low setting, with the lowest heat setting. I set them in my lap, semi wrapped in the towel (so they can kinda hide their face if they want), and start at the tail. I try to move as quickly as possible, and if they start to run, as long as they are mostly dry, I'll let them go. I don't wash them often, but I have done it every so often since they were small, so it's not as stressful for them. Taco is the only one who puts up a fuss, and squeaks. He will do more of a chattering squeak, like he's complaining. But when I blow dry him, he loves the warm air. Some of them actually will raise their face to the warm air, and enjoy it. But they will get to a point when they are over it, and ready to go play. LOL

I use pee rocks. Mine are either the size of the rat, or a little bigger. They will basically rub their belly on it and pee. Each rat has a different smell, so each one will want to remark the stone with their scent. Works like a charm! I only wash mine when they get icky. That way it still has the potty smell for them to know where to go potty. I do flip it every couple of days. I use yesterday's news in their littler boxes, and fleece on their floors.
I actually bought some proper pee rocks and they seem to work rather well! The girls are definitely scent marking them and peeing less in their beds

I've never had one single rat who didn't pee in their hideouts. I think they do it to mark it as their own. So when I changeout the paper liners I always leave a little old paper in so they don't feel the need to start over. Anyway, peeing is impossible to completely control. They only control it when they know they should, like when they're out playing or on my shoulder.

Back