Parker

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Parker was healthy last night, this evening he is struggling to breath, fast shallow breathing, effort .... head looks swollen but hair is puffy and he is a chubby boy approx 1.5 yrs ..... stared antibiotics (baytril zithro & clav) tonight, lasix & bronco diliator ....he is no longer in hammock hanging his head over the edge, breathing but has moved downstairs and is lying by himself in the house so maybe a bit better? ... can get vet on call to pts but otherwise vet is useless ....... his sister Shadow died on Sat ... she was healthy on Fri and i found her dead in the hammock with her sisters on Sat ...... no exposure to anything but me and i don't go to pet stores etc ..... some have eyes bugging out but sometimes they look like that to me ...... a few sneezing ..... don't know what to do ... wondering if i put all 37 on baytril tonight ...... will be phoning vet in the am and hope i can get in .......... a year ago in Feb my rats got strep phen. and started dying .... put all on antibiotics for 8 weeks ..... no new rescues taken in since August no exposure to other rats - although some had a vet visit a couple of weeks ago (pt) ........ Suggestions?

fortunately the bronco dilator has kept Parker alive until the antibiotics started to work. He is doing better today. Vet was full yesterday and I was unable to get Parker in as an emergency, fortunately Parker is still alive and he has a vet appointment today.

It's crazy how fast lung infections can get worse. My vet once told me that by the time we notice anything is wrong, it's probably far progressed already. We just can't catch up it seems. But I do want to make a note that rats with PT will sometimes exhibit lung infections like symptoms. I had a few rats do that.

Thanks Jorats.
The bronchodilator kept Parker alive until the antibiotics had time to work
He s now doing much better and no longer requires the bronchodilator.
Turns out, Parker had/has pneumonia http://ratguide.com/health/lower_respiratory/pneumonia.php

I will now be keeping a bronchodilator (ie a puffer used by people) on hand.
I have had rats in the past that it did no help, but apparently it is recommended for rats with pneumonia and it saved Parkers life ....

Three of Shadows cage mates (Sandra, Ariel, and Linda) are now also on antibiotics

Back