Paraphimosis

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JParsons

I think my nine month old rat is dealing with paraphimosis. Last night I noticed that he was licking that area a lot and squeaking while he did it. On examination I found that his penis seems to be red and stuck outside. This morning I applied a little olive oil in the hopes that it would provide some lubrication in order to help it retract. Any thoughts on other things I can do? He doesn't seem to be in a tremendous amount of pain, but I've read that this can become a serious issue if it's not resolved. I'd take him to the vet immediately, but unfortunately the wait time for my exotics vet is almost always at least two weeks. Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

I'm thinking I'm going to give him some children's ibuprofen to see if it helps the swelling go down. Can someone please help me determine the dosage? He weighs 475 grams.

Sorry for missing this, I've been really sick.

Children's ibu is 20 mg/ml (infant is twice as strong so you only need to use half as much)
His dose at 475 g is 0.48 ml every 4 hours initially then can change to 6-8 after a couple of doses. See if that helps your lad. You may also want to feel around the area for any lumps or internal swelling that may be pushing his penis out

Sorry for missing this, I've been really sick.

Children's ibu is 20 mg/ml (infant is twice as strong so you only need to use half as much)
His dose at 475 g is 0.48 ml every 4 hours initially then can change to 6-8 after a couple of doses. See if that helps your lad. You may also want to feel around the area for any lumps or internal swelling that may be pushing his penis out
Thank you. I ended up giving him about 0.3 mls last night, and I used the olive oil three times over the course of the day. He seems to be back to normal this morning.

Back