Paraphimosis - a word of warning Edit: RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nekopan

Last night I was attempting to remove gunky penis plugs from Chorizo, since he smelled a little funky. I was having a lot of issues popping it out, so I used some water based lube, and finally got it... And then his penis was stuck! No matter what I did it would NOT go in. I lubricated him really well and went to bed, hoping he could get it back in himself. I checked first thing this morning and it was WORSE... Poor little guy's sheath all swollen and angry looking. Thankfully I got him into the vet ASAP, he is in surgery right now.

So a word of warning to all of you cleaning your old men... If it doesn't want to come out, don't force it! I feel awful that I've done this to poor Cho. :(

That is very strange, I have been through paraphimosis with some boys before and after cleaning a plug out, had to really coax his wee wee back in, but never had it stuck outside. If you have metacam or an NSAID at home, try that as well if it ever happens again. Did they really think it was a surgical issue? What could they do?

I gave him some infant Tylenol/aspirin (whichever is anti-inflammatory... I can never remember) and it helped him with the pain, but not the swelling. I wish I'd taken a picture of it, it was really swollen.

My vet said she'd never seen it bad like that before, and she's been working with rats for like 20 years. They're really stumped about the swelling and suggested it could be due to prostate problems? They did manage to get it back in place in surgery, but I'm not sure exactly what that entails. He's being monitored for a few hours post-surgery until I can take him home.

Oh no! I'm terribly sorry. It's so awful when death just happens so suddenly.
RIP little one.. Play hard at the bridge!
:hugs:

I'm so sorry, Neko. :tearful:

You did what I would have done in your situation so don't beat yourself up. :hugs:

Something else must have been going on with the little guy... something he didn't want to share and successfully hid from you. Bless his little soul.

Play hard at the Rainbow Bridge little Cho... :rose:

Back