Oxbow rat food

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kaden

i know this sounds really weird but anyways, I have 8 rats atm and I’ve always fed them oxbow essentials rat food I always bought the small 3lb bags till one day I saw on amazon a 20lb bag so I got that cuz i go through the 3lb bags sooo fast. Ever since I got the 20lb bag my rats have been having very strong smelling poop even tho I spot clean EVERY day anytime I see dropping’s I pick them up and throw them away and I deep clean once -twice a week. It’s just so weird that the scent of their droppings has changed so much since I got the new bag. I use to like the natural scent of my rats but now I can’t barley handle keeping my door shut cuz the smell of poop is so strong. Shoukd I change brands ? I feel like it’s not normal and probably means something in the food doesn’t agree w them but I’ve only ever heard good things about oxbow and never had this problem till recently. I even stopped feeding them fresh fruits and veggies for about a week to see if maybe it was that but I’m like 80% sure it’s the food.

Check the name and ingredients to make sure it is the same as what you normally feed
Check the expiratory date
Can you contact amazon and make a complaint?
Personally, I would stop feeding them food from that bag as there may be something wrong with it.
Since you have not had any previous issues with Oxbow, I would not change brands.
Oxbow is one of the top two rat blocks so it normally is an excellent rat block.
(Just so you are aware, rat blocks go stale after being opened for 3 months, so if it a bag will last longer then that, it is a good idea to divide it up into smaller amounts, place double bagged in freezer bags and freeze them)

For the future, can you see if the store where you buy the small bags will order you in a large bag of Oxbow Essentials? That way if there is something wrong you can return it and talk to the manager.
Or else order directly from a store that sells pet supplies online (re reliably and accountability)

Back