Oxbow bedding?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Holly

Hi guys!

So I have a huge cage for my boy rats (it’s the same size as a double critter nation; kind of like a cheaper version of one, can’t remember the exact name). I’m currently using fleece to line their cages at the moment (with a layer of newspaper underneath to soak up more wee).

I use binder clips to keep it relatively down but they still get underneath it. At first I didn’t mind as I know rats like to hide and burrow, but it is increasingly frustrating me now. Our boys are relatively new to our home; we rehomed them at 6 months of age and haven’t really bonded with them yet and it’s hard to do so when they bury underneath the fleece liners when ever we enter the room. I’ve tried giving them more fleece scraps, shredded news paper, more hideaways but they still go under the fleece liner.

So, to put a long story short; I think I’m going to switch to loose bedding (at least to replace the liner they always bury underneath). I’ve looked up some supposedly great ones and the not so good ones. I found this one from oxbow which is available in my local pet store and wondered if people had experience with it and if it’s safe and good to use? (I’ll link it at the end of this post).

If not oxbow; which bedding? Let me know. :)

https://www.thepetexpress.co.uk/bedding/oxbow-pure-comfort-bedding-white-8-2ltr/

Just be aware the rats will fling the loose bedding out of the cage and make a big mess. You may want to get one of the concrete mixing tubs that fit in there to keep it contained.

Just be aware the rats will fling the loose bedding out of the cage and make a big mess. You may want to get one of the concrete mixing tubs that fit in there to keep it contained.

Haha they are messy boys. I’m not too bothered about them making a bit of a mess, I keep a long pad/mat kind of thing underneath the wheels of their cage for them to fling any mess on to; and the trays in their cage aren’t completely flat, they have risen edges so hopefully that will help. I may invest in a concrete mixing tub if the mess does become too unbearable. :)

Back