Our rodent family (many pictures)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhHuhHer

So, my brother brought another gerbil home today and I'm now realizing how full of rodents our home is. So, today I took stock of all of them (and took pictures on my crappy phone camera) and decided to share the zoo we have over here. It started with my rats, actually, and then my sister fell in love with some guinea pigs, and then my brother, who has ADHD, ended up having a serious improvement in his behavior when he took care of our pets. He is very careful and patient and attentive with them, and so we agreed to let him have small animals as well, and he's worlds better with them. Which is why he was allowed to bring another one home today.

IMAG01311_zpsbedf1a03.jpg

This is my little Lucille (and part of my face). She is my youngest and newest, and came to me in the poorest condition. She's a nervous little girl, but she's so sweet.

IMAG01291_zps42b1340e.jpg

My slightly less sweet, affectionate Eos. She lets me hold her now, so we're doing good.

IMAG01271_zps3f898d2f.jpg

My old lady, Dot. She survived an emergency surgery, but hasn't totally bounced back.

IMAG01251_zps4ba3c5d6.jpg

My sweet cuddlebug, Mohini.

IMAG01201_zps215ec916.jpg

Gumdrop, the Destroyer, the senior rat of the cage (despite being one of the youngest).

IMAG01161_zps81bd8dd9.jpg

My sister's long-haired guinea pig, Adidas (Didi).

IMAG01151_zpsdb7ba561.jpg

Nike, another of my sister's pigs. Our lovable jerk.

IMAG01121_zps571d03ad.jpg

Aerie, trying to eat my pencil. She gets away with a lot because she has massive feet infections and a belly full of huge cysts, and we didn't know that when we got her. My sister's newest pig.

IMAG01031_zps417009ed.jpg

Fat Albert (Alby), my brother's gerbil.

IMAG0100_zpsodedacza.jpg

Clementine, Alby's cagemate.

IMAG0102_zps2xvhxfgx.jpg

Oreo, the newest gerbil, who is too fast for my camera.

IMAG00761_zpsa23cfff5.jpg

Jordan (I call her Possum) isn't really ours. She belongs to my brother's girlfriend, but I'm the one who went to pick her up from her previous owner and we really bonded that night, and I still like to think she's mine.

OMG, they are all so adorable! I love the rats of course, and also the guinea pigs. I've raised many guinea pigs. They're so sweet! I've never had any experience with gerbils, so I don't know if I would like them, but they're awfully cute!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I love all the guinea pigs I've met. They're so precious. Gerbils are odd. I love my brother's and I'll be sad when they're gone, but they wouldn't have been my choice of a pet. It's hard to get close to them. They just don't seem to be as interested in people as the pigs and rats are.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I hope you're not keeping the Gerbils in the cage behind the photo?

Gerbils need tanks as they love deep substrate to dig in, as well as the fact that those plastic shelves and base will be chewed up in no time and they'll escape. (You won't want them to run into your rats!)

Cute pets though! I love the Gerbils!

Oh, no, that's where they've been hanging out today since we had to move them all down to the basement for a while. And, of course, in the short time they were there, they almost destroyed that top shelf. There would be nothing left of it if we kept them in it too long.

Rilence said:
:laugh4:
That's the problem with Gerbils, huh! :giggle:

It really is. When we first got them, we were warned they chewed way more than even my rats. I didn't believe them until the end pod the first week when I saw the short work they made of their little house. Now, they have sturdier ones.

Since Gerbils does not pee much; My friend whom keep Gerbils only use wooden stuffs for them to chew.

They love toilet paper tubes and card boxes too!

They love toilet paper tubes. With the holidays, they have cut up wrapping paper tubes too. And they have wood chews. Their house just isn't wood anymore.

Thank you! Strangely enough, Fat Albert is a girl. My brother loved the name so much, he kept it when he realized we were getting a girl. She has such pretty reddish fur. I wish I could have gotten a better picture, but she's never still very long.

Back