Orphaned wildlings need help ASAP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do we think? Petition to have Folklore and Evermore acknowledged as the world's tiniest shoulder rats? 🤣
20230501_164759.jpg

20230502_111611.jpg
NOBODY MOVE ITS HAPPENINGGGGGG

Also, you will notice they look less fluffy. They have *bottle baby alopecia * 🙃. Apparently harmless but they may loose all their fur before it grows back.

Folklore and Evermore are going through their "werewolf" phase. Bottle baby alopecia is wild 🤣
3 weeks old today. These were taken last night.
20230502_165540.jpg

20230502_170325.jpg

Okay I got a lot of feedback on another group that these babies are male (NOBODY guessed female). I REALLY think they are female. Opinions?
20230503_221054-jpg.16498
20230503_220554.jpg

Attachments

• 20230503_221054.jpg
    20230503_221054.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
The first picture you can see a nipple, second you can see a vaginal opening "dent" so I'm going to say you're correct! Plus at 22 days old males should start showing testicle bumps, these two do NOT have that.

Oh I forgot to say! I'm up for a 1:30am feed but in the evening (day 22) the girls weighed 20g and 19g respectively. For some reason Evermore reaching 20g felt like such a huge milestone. So proud of these tiny fighters.

I read somewhere before that wild rats even if raised from babies will never be as tame as rats raised as pets for generations... Hopefully these two will bond to you with all your hard work and love...

I read somewhere before that wild rats even if raised from babies will never be as tame as rats raised as pets for generations... Hopefully these two will bond to you with all your hard work and love...
They can retain wild tendencies even if hand raised, however small number of babies+ intake at 3 days old makes these guys candidates to be pretty good pets. Norway rats will generally make better pets than roof rats if hand raised as well, so there is some confusion there. I am in contact with specific orphaned rodent rehabbers who agree that these two will likely make decent pets.

Awww...they sure look like momma's girls. As you move through life together I hope you will let us know how living with hand-raised wild 'uns compares to life with domesticated darlings. I often wonder what I'd do if if I came across orphaned babies.

Awww...they sure look like momma's girls. As you move through life together I hope you will let us know how living with hand-raised wild 'uns compares to life with domesticated darlings. I often wonder what I'd do if if I came across orphaned babies.
I will do. I know some do become somewhat wild especially those raised in large litters or half wilds raised by a rat mother- but I've also seen on here (years ago mind you) examples of hand raised wild babies who were very sweet, and a few members would consistently say they had to of been actually just baby agouti domestics who were found outside 🤣 (rather than accepting wilds could be friendly). I think, even for us rat lovers, we make a mental separation between domestic and wild rats for a number of reasons- even though they are the same species.

I will do. I know some do become somewhat wild especially those raised in large litters or half wilds raised by a rat mother- but I've also seen on here (years ago mind you) examples of hand raised wild babies who were very sweet, and a few members would consistently say they had to of been actually just baby agouti domestics who were found outside 🤣 (rather than accepting wilds could be friendly). I think, even for us rat lovers, we make a mental separation between domestic and wild rats for a number of reasons- even though they are the same species.
I have to agree though I know for sure wild rats can be sweet or I'd be missing fingers! I wouldn't recommend doing what I did but I did hand feed a TON of wild babies without gloves one really tough winter. I couldn't just watch them starve like that(we have chickens so as you know, farm animals almost always come with wild rats). I didn't try to go past feeding them as I didn't want them too comfortable with humans but those babies were so hungry they had almost no hesitation on practically climbing on my hand and over each other to get to the food.

I have to agree though I know for sure wild rats can be sweet or I'd be missing fingers! I wouldn't recommend doing what I did but I did hand feed a TON of wild babies without gloves one really tough winter. I couldn't just watch them starve like that(we have chickens so as you know, farm animals almost always come with wild rats). I didn't try to go past feeding them as I didn't want them too comfortable with humans but those babies were so hungry they had almost no hesitation on practically climbing on my hand and over each other to get to the food.
We homestead, thus how these sweet babies came to be at my house lol.

Back