Oreo's Inguinal Tumor- Open and Infected?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get her in ASAP Aida...forget waiting for some tech to forget to tell the vet to call you :(

When did the tail start to really change? Is it cold?
I can't anymore, the vet closed three hours ago.... :sad4:

The tail turned black at the end almost a week ago. It wasn't thinner at the end as you see, and I honestly just assumed that it was dirty so I didn't realize what was up until I was giving her a nice clean last night and dipped it in water, trying to wash it off, and well, it didn't.

It doesn't feel cold at all...

God, I had no idea this was such a big problem. I'm so scared, now, just as I was sure things were getting better. I didn't put the neosporin on it tonight, just gave her the baytril and the metacam. I will try with all my might to get her in to the vet tomorrow, but I can't until after 12pm because, of course, I have a giant AP exam I just can't miss. I'm going to write up a list of things to discuss with my vet, like the neosporin, the tail, the infection, getting the cone off, etc...

The tail turned black at the end almost a week ago. It wasn't thinner at the end as you see, and I honestly just assumed that it was dirty so I didn't realize what was up until I was giving her a nice clean last night and dipped it in water, trying to wash it off, and well, it didn't.

did any vet see her tail in when it was turning black??

If so I've got some serious concerns about the vet.

I am very sorry this is happening Aida but I fear your girl is likely suffering and really needs vet care IMMEDIATELY

God, I had no idea this was such a big problem. I'm so scared, now, just as I was sure things were getting better. I didn't put the neosporin on it tonight, just gave her the baytril and the metacam. I will try with all my might to get her in to the vet tomorrow, but I can't until after 12pm because, of course, I have a giant AP exam I just can't miss. I'm going to write up a list of things to discuss with my vet, like the neosporin, the tail, the infection, getting the cone off, etc...

12 pm is fine, I just didn't want her to wait til Friday. That tail worries me most at this point and since we cannot see it or touch it, and only hear descriptions and see pics, I really think it cannot wait til Friday. The thinning, the spongy feeling, the black...very worriesome, even for me.

12 pm is fine, I just didn't want her to wait til Friday. That tail worries me most at this point and since we cannot see it or touch it, and only hear descriptions and see pics, I really think it cannot wait til Friday. The thinning, the spongy feeling, the black...very worriesome, even for me.

I can't go see an emergency vet. :(
They are far away, I don't know for sure if they really do treat rats, and it will be so, so expensive. I think she can wait one more day, too, as much as I hate seeing her like this.

What should the vet do in this case? Would an amputation involve a whole other operation, with full sedation and everything? I don't know if my girl can go through that again.

What should I tell her about the cone and the neosporin, and generally about the tail if she doesn't think it is a worry?

I would just remove the cone myself, and not bother the vet tomorrow after the visit. That yellow stuff could be healing tissue as long as there's no smell of infection.

Like this with Inca (this is after she opened herself up the 2nd time, we left it to heal by itself)

jul3Incasopenincision.jpg~original

Just deal with the tail, and remove the cone later.

Okay.
I had no idea whatsoever that this tail was so serious. I noticed it before as I said, but I thought it was just dirty. Thanks so much guys, I just wish I noticed this sooner or asked her to take a close look when we were there on Saturday.

I would just remove the cone myself, and not bother the vet tomorrow after the visit. That yellow stuff could be healing tissue as long as there's no smell of infection.

Like this with Inca (this is after she opened herself up the 2nd time, we left it to heal by itself)

Just deal with the tail, and remove the cone later.

do you mean "worry about the cone later" ?

you said before to take the cone off.
I know you must be tired, this is very late for you with the hours you keep so just clarifying if that's what you meant

I'm really thinking Oreo would be better off with out the cone, but that's just my opinion.

I just re-read the entire thread and realized the cone has been on for TWO weeks...that's insane. Its been a week since she was debrided so yes...remove the cone entirely! If she wants to gently debride tissue and remove staples, let her. If there's an issue you'll be seeing the vet tomorrow anyways...tell them she got it off...by the way I have NO clue HOW you kept it on, mine always got out within a day if not less.

She doesn't need to be on metacam any longer, she's mostly healed so she doesn't need it for pain any longer.

The tail looks like its dying, THAT needs to be seen ASAP. If an amputation is required its not so much of a surgery as a procedure...still gas, but not as much, the amputation has to be done where there's healthy tissue so she could lose half her tail, but if that darkness is spreading up her tail, then its dangerous.

I just re-read the entire thread and realized the cone has been on for TWO weeks...that's insane. Its been a week since she was debrided so yes...remove the cone entirely! If she wants to gently debride tissue and remove staples, let her. If there's an issue you'll be seeing the vet tomorrow anyways...tell themshe got it off...by the way I have NO clue HOW you kept it on, mine always got out within a day if not less.

She doesn't need to be on metacam any longer, she's mostly healed so she doesn't need it for pain any longer.

The tail looks like its dying, THAT needs to be seen ASAP. If an amputation is required its not so much of a surgery as a procedure...still gas, but not as much, the amputation has to be done where there's healthy tissue so she could lose half her tail, but if that darkness is spreading up her tail, then its dangerous.
Okay, I'm going to take the cone off, then.... :praying:
I hope she doesn't destroy it completely and result in another problem. She instantly goes for the staples, so she will take those out minutes after I take this god forsaken thing off. What if she touches the tail?

The cone has little buttons on it that let me adjust the size pretty precisely, so I think that's how she's stayed in it so long.

Here is my understanding so far:
-I am taking the cone off now, wish me luck. It is OK for her to mess with the incision and I should just let her.
-The tail NEEDS to be seen and I am to express this the first thing tomorrow morning and DEMAND to come in, it most likely needs to be amputated? (If my vet has never seen this before, is there anywhere I can point her to? I can't find a "tail rotting off" section on the health guide...)
-No more neosporin because it just might be sealing the infection in

Oh you poor thing only this going on in one little rattie. I would just show up at the vet if they give you a hard time about coming in. After all its their stupid cone that did the damage. :hugs:

Oh you poor thing only this going on in one little rattie. I would just show up at the vet if they give you a hard time about coming in. After all its their stupid cone that did the damage. :hugs:
I thought it was the cone, but now I guess it is something else and more serious. :disbelief:
Okay, cone is coming off now... right?

Cone is off. I wish this cone-taking off party would be in happier spirits.

She cleaned herself up and licked the staples and around, and then of course yanked on them. She didn't pull them out completely, but they are sticking out now and she is still messing with it. I put her back in the cage and hopefully she will do all right, I see her still messing with it.

The tail is only squishy at the tip, the rest seems to be hard and it isn't as flexible. She doesn't mind me touching it, and I wonder if she has any feeling even left in it, which is scary.
I guess on the bright side the wound looks great, I hope she doesn't rip it open now.

Do you mean the tail is hard above the squishy part as in it is the usual firm of a rat tail or do you mean it is harder that normal?

Don't worry about her pulling out her staples. The underlying tissues would have closed by now so that horrible vision you have of her insides falling out isn't going to happen. :)
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

It's harder than normal Sheldon, we know it's a problem she's going to the vet tomorrow. :(

She is so happy to be without the cone. The staples are still in the skin, though I think she pulled them loose, but the wound looks great-she licked out all of the yellow stuff and now it is just a healthy pinkish red color. She is climbing around all over the cage, being silly.

aw she's gotta be so happy!!

this will all be over soon and you can relax. Hopefully the vet can fix her tail up nice and fast and you can really enjoy your girls instead of constantly jsut worrying about them

good luck on your exam tomorrow!

It's harder than normal Sheldon, we know it's a problem she's going to the vet tomorrow. :(

Yeah it sounds necrotic. I doubt that part of the tail is even getting circulation at this point. If that is the case she won't be feeling it. Good luck at the vet tomorrow. I hope they can just snip it off and be done with it!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I didnt mean to scare you but rats have a history of cleaning themselves. They have no issues with eating infections:sick2: To have a cone on for more than a day or two can damage so much it isnt funny. If she would of used little stitches and glue she would of been healed a week ago. to go through this for 2 weeks is insane.

Ella got infected I think the problem is those stitches can keep stuff in there. It holds in filth. Stitches get ripped out and they can get infected.
10308721_10152103013386409_3043239462916592547_n.jpg

Finley was glued and this is one of the worst incision my vet has done but his tumor was ginormous so he didnt have a lot of skin to work with.
10314708_10152129929436409_7194664138290205445_n.jpg

A rat pulling out stitches no harm no foul after like the 2nd day. It is generally healed up enough that the stitches no longer matter. With staples their skin can rip open so therefore that makes the fix a 1000 times worse. I have never had an infected wound with surgical glue. My vet does not use stitches except on some difficult tumors but I let them rip them out after the 2nd day because they do more harm than good at that point. Her wounds looks better but glue here and there would of been more than enough to be able to keep that skin together to fix it. They can use what they want they should remember that you are the one at home trying to keep her from reopening it and glue does not pull or hurt like stitches can.

Her tail is a dire need that is very scary.

Good luck today Aida!! I always had staples removed at 5 days when I first had them, so don't worry about her removing them...even the vet said she would remove them herself.

Glad she's happier and cleaned up her incision and bits :D

Good luck with the tail, it looks dead to me...its thinner and harder meaning its dried up...not sure why its not cold or cooler than her normal length of tail, but you'll find out today.

Back