Oregano oil

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

So my rats are being treated for RI right now. The vet told me that even if they get better, most likely it will keep coming back, so I did a little research and found out that giving your ratties two tiny pieces of dark chocolate (90%) plus putting one/two drops of oregano oil in their water can help prevent RI. Thoughts? Will it be ok to give them two tiny bits of dark chocolate everyday? will it be okay to mix the oil in their water everyday? Do you think it could work? Also I got this oil that I ordered from amazon (picture) and it reads "for external use only", Is it safe to mix in their waters? I didnt even know oregano oil existed, so I dont know if there is oil for external use and the opposite? Sorry for the big paragraph!

This one

Attachments

• 1527035162561-1419599994.jpg
    1527035162561-1419599994.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 15270351796171670200713.jpg
    15270351796171670200713.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 15270352022441047763867.jpg
    15270352022441047763867.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 173
I have no idea about the oregano oil, but I doubt it. From what you wrote, I would never give that to my rats, not even externally (they will lick it off)
Do not put anything in their water - this is never ok to do, as it may cause them to stop drinking, and they can die from dehydration

As for dark chocolate, a very tiny piece is sometimes used in an emergency to try to keep a rat's airway open until you can get them to a vet. It will not prevent resp. infections and should only be given in an emergency.

Rats are prone to resp. infections and myco flare ups.
The best thing you can do is:
1. keep them in a large interesting clean cage,
2. feed them a healthy diet
(low protein from plant sources, no added salt or added sugar or added fat, a variety of vegs and occasional healthy treats such as a piece of fruit, berries, cooked grains, cooked cereals, pumpkin seeds etc)
3. clean water free from added chlorine and fluoride which are often added to water,
4. spend time interacting with them each day in a rat safe play area where they can run, and climb and explore and interact with you,
5. get to know them well so you notice when they are ill or not acting like themselves,
6. have a good vet
7. treat illness immediately and aggressively and for long enough that they recover from the illness (4 to 6 weeks for a respire. infection or myco flareup) ....
8. do not expose them to environments where they can catch one of the serious air born rat diseases.
9. do not expose them to smoke, etc

The best defence against illness is a strong immune system

Scents can cause illness and stress can also cause illness

Last edited:
I have no idea about the oregano oil, but I doubt it. From what you wrote, I would never give that to my rats, not even externally (they will lick it off)
Do not put anything in their water - this is never ok to do, as it may cause them to stop drinking, and they can die from dehydration

As for dark chocolate, a very tiny piece is sometimes used in an emergency to try to keep a rat's airway open until you can get them to a vet. It will not prevent resp. infections and should only be given in an emergency.

Rats are prone to resp. infections and myco flare ups.
The best thing you can do is:
1. keep them in a large interesting clean cage,
2. feed them a healthy diet
(low protein from plant sources, no added salt or added sugar or added fat, a variety of vegs and occasional healthy treats such as a piece of fruit, berries, cooked grains, cooked cereals, pumpkin seeds etc)
3. clean water free from chlorine and fluoride,
4. spend time interacting with them each day in a rat safe play area where they can run, and climb and explore and interact with you,
5. get to know them well so you notice when they are ill or not acting like themselves,
6. have a good vet
7. treat illness immediately and aggressively and for long enough that they recover from the illness (4 to 6 weeks for a respire. infection or myco flareup) ....
8. do not expose them to environments where they can catch one of the serious air born rat diseases.
9. do not expose them to smoke, etc

The best defence against illness is a strong immune system

Scents can cause illness and stress can also cause illness

Thanks for the info! About water, I cant seem to find any water that doesnt have flouride .

Yes that is a difficult thing. Unless you have whole house water filters it is tough to find. Some bottled waters don’t have it. Also Zerowater filters filter out everything. You might have a look.

Thanks for the info! About water, I cant seem to find any water that doesnt have flouride .

Really? Some water naturally contains very tiny amounts of naturally occurring fluoride ...... but when they say no fluoride, I believe they mean no added fluoride as some places add fluoride to the water. (I'll go back and edit my post)

Fluoride is not removed using filters you can buy (" ZeroWater filters are not certified for the reduction of fluoride "), you need complex systems to remove it .... so if they add fluoride to your water, you may need to use bottled water or water from a store that has been filter using a machine that can remove fluoride

Last edited:
Really? Some water naturally contains very tiny amounts of naturally occurring fluoride ...... but when they say no fluoride, I believe they mean no added fluoride as some places add fluoride to the water. (I'll go back and edit my post)

Fluoride is not removed using filters you can buy (" ZeroWater filters are not certified for the reduction of fluoride "), you need complex systems to remove it .... so if they add fluoride to your water, you may need to use bottled water or water from a store that has been filter using a machine that can remove fluoride
I think I finally found some without fluoride! Thanks!

Back