Orange under my little guys fur

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisab40

My beautiful boy (Chunky), has orange under his fur and specks of orange looking stuff that don't move on his fur. Can anyone give me an idea of what the problem is? I don't over do it with the bath, I only give him one maybe once a month so I don't know what the problem is.
Please someone help with this; I just lost my other boy who was 3 years old and I'm terrified about losing my chunkster who is approx. 1 and a half yrs.
Thanks,
Lisa

I don't have male rats but found these after a quick google search

http://www.fancypetrats.com/pet-rats-bathing.php

"Orange Greasy Build-up

Furry rats, especially males, can get a greasy orange buildup on their skin and hair, sometimes caused by too much protein in their diets.

On male rats, greasy orange hair and skin is often referred to as "Buck grease". Hairless rats tend to turn orange (from pink) with grease build up. It can be a bit hard for them to keep themselves clean."

http://www.fancypetrats.com/pet-rats-bathing.php
Buck Grease

Buck grease is an oily orange skin discharge found in unneutered males. It's testosterone driven, and sometimes there's an over production of it, creating a greasy orange like dandruff on the fur, which is difficult to remove by washing.

A change in diet can help to reduce it. You'll need to change the diet to include more omega-3 fatty acids. Giving them flaxseed oil or olive oil on wheat bread a couple of times a week is all that's needed. This not only reduces the buck grease, but also improves the condition of their coat, making it softer and shinier.

good info ! Neutered boys don't get buck grease as it is hormone relared.
It isn't a good idea to wash rats very often.
Some people wipe their boys down.

I can assure you that neutered males do indeed get sebum. (buck grease)
If you have a build up, try combing it out, I've noticed that a fine toothed comb sometimes help. Also wiping them down with baby wipes will get some off.

Back