Opinions on this cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewil

I've been looking for an upgrade for my two boys and found this bird cage listed. Its dimensions are 26x18x37 (I'm assuming inches, but it doesn't say) which according to online cage calculators should be fine for two rats. The flat part at the top also opens up. Would I need to add levels, or would it be okay filling the space with baskets and hammocks and such? Any immediate red flags?
View attachment 12279

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-8_10-37-37.png
    upload_2019-4-8_10-37-37.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 188
imo the base is too small ….. rats need a lot of horizontal space (min 30 in by 18 in but larger is better) and this becomes increasingly more important as they age …… the pan doesn't look good for older rats who may develop mobility issues either

Yes, you are right that at least one more full level (as well as large balconies) would be important

The doors look nice and big, and the bar spacing looks small :)

Edit: I would suggest a critter nation cage or a powder coated martins R695 with flip top lid - you will need to cover the wire floors (a thick piece of linoleum cut to fit and dish drain trays cut to fit and attached with zip ties for the balconies) martinscages.com

Last edited:
imo the base is too small ….. rats need a lot of horizontal space (min 30 in by 18 in but larger is better) and this becomes increasingly more important as they age …… the pan doesn't look good for older rats who may develop mobility issues either

Yes, you are right that at least one more full level (as well as large balconies) would be important

The doors look nice and big, and the bar spacing looks small :)

What do you suggest for older rats who are having a hard time climbing?

What do you suggest for older rats who are having a hard time climbing?

a cage with a lot of floor space …… if you have the money, two (single or double) critter nation cages with side panels removed to make a 6 foot long cage ……
or a 40 inch long rabbit cage, or a one section critter nation (is 3 feet long)
Here is an older picture of one of my cages - two double CNs attached horizontally for a length of 6 feet., the side panels were removed and the cages were attached using zip ties

My cage 2015.jpg

Just wanted to mention that I love your use of those balls.

Thanks but I learned from others many years ago
There is a danger that toes can get caught in the slits so making sure they have plenty of soft bedding in them is important …. many have stopped using them in this way because of the potential danger

Back