Opinion on WARE living room series small pet habitat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ava

Any opinions on this ware cage? I would use it for two female rats. I like how it has a little more floor space than the r 690 cage I was planning to get from Martin’s cages. Not sure about cleaning or access because of the small doors.

In my opinion that is not a good cage.
It has many problems with it that make it a very poor cage for rats.

Rats need a lot of horizontal space and the base of the ware cage is way too small.
The bottom of the cage would need a great deal of modifications in order to make it safe for rats (pan that can be chewed through for example)
The levels are poorly designed and the ramps will be chewed.
I would never recommend this cage to a rat owner and I would never use it to house rats.
Please do not even consider buying this cage.

The martins R690 is also completely unsuitable as previously mentioned by both myself and lilspaz68. The main problem is the tiny horizontal space. Rats need a floor space at least 30 inches by 18 inches with height with large levels. Rats require a great deal of horizontal space and this need increases as they age. Do not even consider buying this cage ... I had it as a temporary cage and it is way too small ..... it might be ok for a small hamster but not for a rat of any age.

I strongly suggest that you purchase the midwest critter nation cage. It is within your price range. https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...n-single-unit-small-animal-habitat-14531.html
OR a martins R695 powder coated with flip top lid (base is the min. size for a rat cage, 30 inches by 18 inches - it could sit on top of a desk, dresser etc) ...... martinscages.com
Any other cages I could suggest would have a larger foot print (horizontal space) then the critter nation or the martins R696.

No matter how many hours a day you take the ratties out (actually they need to be out in a safe play area where they can interact with you, climb, play explore, run, etc for at least 1 or 2 hours a day), they will spend most of their time in a cage so it must be large enough.

From your other post concerning cages you mentioned a lack of space.
The base of a cage must be at least 30 inches by 18 inches, but bigger is better. That is the minimum standard.
If you do not have space for either of these cages, then you do not have enough space for a rat.
You may need to wait to get pet rats until you have more space.

Last edited:
Back