Ontario vet recommendations in Guelph or KW area?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doriimer

Hello, we recently got some male rats and would love to take them to a trusted vet who is also able to neuter them without issue.
We live about an hour from Guelph and Kitchener/Waterloo so unfortunately we can't travel too much further to avoid stressing the rats out alongside distance/gas.
We would like to avoid using Campus Estates as they are quite expensive.
As my parents pay for half of rat expenses I'd like to be considerate of their tight budget.
Thank you in advance :)

I live in Guelph and got my boy neutered back in February. My husband called around to different vets to get quotes and we settled on Breslau Animal Hospital. They have fantastic reviews and they quoted us at $50 for an initial checkup plus $270 for the neuter (that's with everything like medication included). If he had some sort of complication related to the neuter and had to be seen again, the checkup would be free of charge. He did end up needing a follow up exam and they were true to their word, cost us nothing extra!

Everywhere else we called wanted $100-$150 for an initial checkup and $300-$500 for the neuter.

Dr. Melillo is their small animal vet and who we saw. She was honest and upfront with us that she had neutered plenty of small animals before and had performed surgeries on rats, but had never neutered a rat. We went through with it and it went perfectly! The aftercare was great, they sent him home with antibiotics and metacam, called the next day to check in and see how he was doing, and the vet was more than happy to answer any questions or concerns we had.

Back