ongoing sick rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix.madley

Caius my rat who is almost a year old has had respiratory issues and they have been ongoing for over 4 months. The vet tried Baytril 0.2mi then upped to 0.2ml twice a day! Non-effective. We then tried doxycline one tablet cut in half. Each half of a tablet diluted with 5ml of water, and 1.2ml of the solution twice a day, for 2 weeks. Non-effective. We then tried the doxy again at the same dose plus batyril of 0.2ml once a day. We saw improvement but came off the meds after 2 weeks, respiratory issues came back a week later. We then tried the doxy and baytril again. Good results, symptoms got better, then worse, then better. Cleared up for around 2 weeks. And the symptoms came back. Im thinking the medication may need to be a long term thing. In order to suppress the symptoms. He has wheezy nose, but nothing on his chest!

nasal congestion can be very difficult to clear, as once the infection is gone there's nothing for the antibiotics to work on.

But first lets go back to the baytril and the doxy combo. What was the longest you used it for? Also what concentration is your baytril (mg/ml or %), what mg is the doxy tablet and how much does your lad weigh?

nasal congestion can be very difficult to clear, as once the infection is gone there's nothing for the antibiotics to work on.

But first lets go back to the baytril and the doxy combo. What was the longest you used it for? Also what concentration is your baytril (mg/ml or %), what mg is the doxy tablet and how much does your lad weigh?
yes the treatment is ongoing, its 2.0ml baytril a day. The tablet is 20mg, but i was told to chop the tablet in half. And dilute each half with 5.0ml of water and give 1.2ml of the solution 2 times a day. His respiratory issue has been progressive to tell you the truth. As soon i stop treatment it comes back at the moment I'm on a pack of 7 tablets which is equivalent to 28 doses... as each half doses 2 times a day. Each tablet is for 4 doses.. so that's a months treatment i will try continued doses until i run out... He is eating. He is just wheezy though, but its not on his chest

okay how much does your lad weigh? Are you in the US?

Once i have this info i can try to determine if he's getting an effective dose of Baytril and also help you mix it up in an easier and more palatable way for him.
You'd need a small bottle with a tight lid and sweet syrup to mask the horrible taste.

right now you are taking a 10 mg pill adding 5 ml of water, giving you 2 mg/ml baytril.

IF he was only 1 lb or 450 grams, he should be getting at least 10 mg/kg and his dose would be 2.25 ml twice a day.
So depending on how much he weighs I am guessing hes being underdosed which is why he never gets better.

So what I need to know is how many baytril pills do you have and how much does your lad weigh and do you live in the US?

yes the treatment is ongoing, its 2.0ml baytril a day. The tablet is 20mg, but i was told to chop the tablet in half. And dilute each half with 5.0ml of water and give 1.2ml of the solution 2 times a day. His respiratory issue has been progressive to tell you the truth. As soon i stop treatment it comes back at the moment I'm on a pack of 7 tablets which is equivalent to 28 doses... as each half doses 2 times a day. Each tablet is for 4 doses.. so that's a months treatment i will try continued doses until i run out... He is eating. He is just wheezy though, but its not on his chest
we used for 2 weeks before, but it came back...i am going to use for the full 28 days and see what happens
okay how much does your lad weigh? Are you in the US?

Once i have this info i can try to determine if he's getting an effective dose of Baytril and also help you mix it up in an easier and more palatable way for him.
You'd need a small bottle with a tight lid and sweet syrup to mask the horrible taste.

right now you are taking a 10 mg pill adding 5 ml of water, giving you 2 mg/ml baytril.

IF he was only 1 lb or 450 grams, he should be getting at least 10 mg/kg and his dose would be 2.25 ml twice a day.
So depending on how much he weighs I am guessing hes being underdosed which is why he never gets better.

So what I need to know is how many baytril pills do you have and how much does your lad weigh and do you live in the US?
The baytril is in liquid for...the vet used to dose with 2.0ml twice a day but no results, unless with the doxy...I'm not sure of my lads weight....and he wont sit on the scales for me to weigh him.. the medication he takes on a bit of bread or cracker

it all sounds a bit insane, and i really have a fear he's being underdosed

if you are in the US you can order doxy and enrofloxacin online and mix it yourself.

Caius my rat who is almost a year old has had respiratory issues and they have been ongoing for over 4 months. The vet tried Baytril 0.2mi then upped to 0.2ml twice a day! Non-effective. We then tried doxycline one tablet cut in half. Each half of a tablet diluted with 5ml of water, and 1.2ml of the solution twice a day, for 2 weeks. Non-effective. We then tried the doxy again at the same dose plus batyril of 0.2ml once a day. We saw improvement but came off the meds after 2 weeks, respiratory issues came back a week later. We then tried the doxy and baytril again. Good results, symptoms got better, then worse, then better. Cleared up for around 2 weeks. And the symptoms came back. Im thinking the medication may need to be a long term thing. In order to suppress the symptoms. He has wheezy nose, but nothing on his chest!
Long term at less than a year old is a sad situation. I think I would continue cycling treatments of b@@@v'
we used for 2 weeks before, but it came back...i am going to use for the full 28 days and see what happens

The baytril is in liquid for...the vet used to dose with 2.0ml twice a day but no results, unless with the doxy...I'm not sure of my lads weight....and he wont sit on the scales for me to weigh him.. the medication he takes on a bit of bread or cracker
0.2 is a lot, is he overweight?

Back