One rat left...to keep as lone-rat or add another?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, so I've got 2 girls. Audrey is 2 years 4 months & Annabelle is 2 years 3 months.
They have both had a surgery in the last month to remove tumours.
Annabelle is going well at home. Audrey (who has always been so resistant to resp flareups) has come down with quite bad congestion. I've had a cpl appts with our exotic vet, & I've had her on a range of antibiotics and other medications including nebulizing for over a week now and in the last cpl days she's been worse. Not eating, lost 50g, puffy coat, appearing tired/exhausted. I've taken her to the vets today and they're gonna look after her in hospital until Wednesday to see if they can get her back on track....but I've been told its not looking good. I don't want to give up on her but I don't know what more I can do.

Now I'm starting to think about the worst case scenario....if I lose Audrey, is it best to keep Annabelle on her own with me as she is 2 years 3 months....or should I maybe consider adding a baby for her to be with? Annabelle seems to enjoy being with me more than the other rats...but she would still groom and cuddle Audrey. But given her age, and possibly losing Audrey, would it be more stressful for her to be put with a new rat at this point? Or more stress to be on her own? I'm really not sure. It's all very upsetting tbh. I have been through so much with them I feel a bit traumatised like I don't just want to "replace" Audrey & not even sure if I'm ready to go through all this again with another. But I just want to do what's best for Annabelle.

Last edited:
Hi I understand what your going through this happened to my boys this month It really depends on the situation and the rat I have a male rat who now lives alone and has adapted very well you could try housing her with two younger female rats of you feel she will struggle alone I would do some extra research on housing methods and see how your rat does in the next few days. If you think she would do well with company I think it’s best you try and house her with some younger rats. I would say there isn’t a definite answer on what to do but you just have to do what you feel is best for your rat. I hope this helped a bit

Hi I understand what your going through this happened to my boys this month It really depends on the situation and the rat I have a male rat who now lives alone and has adapted very well you could try housing her with two younger female rats of you feel she will struggle alone I would do some extra research on housing methods and see how your rat does in the next few days. If you think she would do well with company I think it’s best you try and house her with some younger rats. I would say there isn’t a definite answer on what to do but you just have to do what you feel is best for your rat. I hope this helped a bit

Thankyou for your opinion 😊 I think my girl is honestly okay with it being just us....she seems to be more a people rat than a rats rat. But she does still like to cuddle up to her cage mates. I think it's best to get her some company...and yes I was thinking a younger rat. I was thinking of introducing one at a time as to not make her feel dominated and outnumbered. I did that to her once when she lost her sister 2 years ago & I then adopted two girls for her to be with. It was a bit much I think but she adapted. She was younger then obviously. So I wanna take it easy this time round!! She's outlived all of them. She's a trooper...and she's my heart rat ❤ I will also feel more at peace knowing that if I need to go somewhere overnight or go out for the day that she's not on her own in this huge cage. Because it is big. Like 160cm tall 4 tier. Bit big for 1 rat 😆 I emailed an adoption rescue last night. Unfortunately they are not operating due to covid restrictions so hopefully in a cpl weeks 🤞🤞

Back