One more question, are "dwarf rats" the same species as "rats" (or, killable by non-dwarf rats)?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one, Macaroni, who is probably as close to a dwarf as possible. My 10-12 week old rat is almost bigger than her! She was raised with other rats, but they were all babies when I got them. I have only ever introduced and housed her with babies. They don't mess with her. She's like the "momma" to them. I'd be extremely careful if I got a dwarf. It wasn't on purpose with Mackie, but if it's already grown, you may have issues. I don't really know, since mine has always been with babies who have grown up with her.

I was last summer given an adult runt who's so petite/boney/thin-skinned/finely-coated that she seems frail without the strength the others have. (She didn't have symptoms, just how she's been, eating/drinking/moving like the others. Like she can't be allowed to climb as high, because she slid right off my shoulder onto hard floor, as her musculature is too skinny to keep her from falling easily, while she's not made of fattness to protect her from broken bones or internal hemorrhaging upon impact. Whereas I've an athlete with a short body/limbs so built that she's spherical, who clings to the outside of my shirt's front like a baby possum, I can bend over till she's upside down & she's there like a bat.) If I need to place her with new rats, I'm afraid for her, she'll be cornered/pinned, unable to stand up for herself, fight them off, hold up her end of the negotiations for hierarchy reestablishment, their claws would sink deep into her flesh where she can't afford them to, what they'd be biting would be her organs instead of ripping out fur patches. I try to be safer than sorrier, so as not to learn 20/20 hindsight vision the hard way, thus I was thinking that new cagemates for her would ideally be dwarf. Do you think that's safe? (And would baby non-dwarfs be safe, since Dena's didn't turn on her small rat even once grown?)

I was last summer given an adult runt who's so petite/boney/thin-skinned/finely-coated that she seems frail without the strength the others have. (She didn't have symptoms, just how she's been, eating/drinking/moving like the others. Like she can't be allowed to climb as high, because she slid right off my shoulder onto hard floor, as her musculature is too skinny to keep her from falling easily, while she's not made of fattness to protect her from broken bones or internal hemorrhaging upon impact. Whereas I've an athlete with a short body/limbs so built that she's spherical, who clings to the outside of my shirt's front like a baby possum, I can bend over till she's upside down & she's there like a bat.) If I need to place her with new rats, I'm afraid for her, she'll be cornered/pinned, unable to stand up for herself, fight them off, hold up her end of the negotiations for hierarchy reestablishment, their claws would sink deep into her flesh where she can't afford them to, what they'd be biting would be her organs instead of ripping out fur patches. I try to be safer than sorrier, so as not to learn 20/20 hindsight vision the hard way, thus I was thinking that new cagemates for her would ideally be dwarf. Do you think that's safe? (And would baby non-dwarfs be safe, since Dena's didn't turn on her small rat even once grown?)
I would suggest 2 babies

Would a baby boy trio be better (for an old spayed runt) than rambunctious baby girls? Or worse? Or the same?

Is your adult girl spayed? (I assume given her health issues that she is not a candidate for surgery)
If not the baby boys will need to be neutered, and then wait 3 weeks before intros
If you get girls they will need to be spayed as this is important for health reasons

She might be more likely to accept a couple of older baby boys.

Back