One male out of five scared of my hands

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxtechie

I have five boys that I've had since they were born (10/8/2020). I've handled them since then. Moved them around etc. His trepidation of my hand has been slowly happening over the last two months but now has really peaked. I have the exotic nutrition 6 lvl cage for all five boys. Plenty of space for them, a wheel, foraging toys the works. I move things around daily just so my hands are going in and what not, but for some reason he now sees me as ruiner of nests bad hand Bc he'll back away, become super stiff if I try to pet him, will bite me if another one of his bros. comes to my hand for pets. I had one of the boys recently fixed so I had my recovery cage set up. I've now moved my scaredy rat to this cage with a buddy. I've tried baby food on my hand, soothing music to help with stress, yogi melted on my knuckles and while he'll eat if I move my hand he runs. 😔
When I let them out for free roaming (all five) he runs with them and seems like a happy little guy just wish he trusted me more. Any suggestions tips or insights would be greatly appreciated.

<they grew up within a cat household so cat scents have been around since they were born>

Last edited:
Back