One lazy rattie?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Comic4147

I've had my two boys for about a month now, but one boy has become more lazy over the past week while the other is very hyper at times still. They're around 5 months old, so almost adults. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've had my two boys for about a month now, but one boy has become more lazy over the past week while the other is very hyper at times still. They're around 5 months old, so almost adults. Has this happened to anyone else?
Hes he eating/drinking ? Hes he really just lazy or lethargic? Ratties tend to get lazier with age. If hes healthy then you shouldn't worry much!

I think he is likely ill
can you post a video (post it on youtube and copy the link on here) and provide more info

What is his breathing like - has anything about his eating, breathing or other behaviour changed?

Just went to my vet today- woke up to shrieking when one of my rats got a toe stuck in the wiring on his cage :(- and she said that Kaito's likely just a wheezy rat by nature. His behavior isn't all that different, luckily, and he eats, drinks, and still messes around with his brother. Gotta get him a nebulizer.

You didn't get any meds for him being wheezy? He really should be on meds. Nebulizing may not work. Some rats get too stressed out with nebulizing.

You didn't get any meds for him being wheezy? He really should be on meds. Nebulizing may not work. Some rats get too stressed out with nebulizing.

KAITO is usually pretty good with new stuff after a little bit. As much as I wanna get extra meds, I already have to pay 300+ for Len's toe because it was hurt too bad (I've already sealed up all the small holes I could find).
I can ask how much meds are, but right now my mom is paying for the 300 and I have to pay her back once I get another job. I guess it depends how much they are and if I can use the thirty to pay her back as med money. I didn't think for a second that one of my boys would get hurt enough to cost that much tight away, so I'm trying to figure out what to do from there :( he's been eating and drinking well for the past week, so I don't know if medication would do much unless I can get it over the counter.

Wow, is he getting surgery? $300 is a lot for meds and an appointment if he didn’t have X-rays and isn’t getting some sort of surgery to repair it, which doesn’t really make sense to do anyway.
Antibiotics don’t tend to be that expensive unless you have to pay for another appointment. Did the vet listen to his lungs?

He should be on meds ……. rats are not wheezy by nature
and nebulizing is stressful and will cause rats with heart issues to become worse - even symptom free rats may start having serious symptoms

He should be on meds ……. rats are not wheezy by nature
and nebulizing is stressful and will cause rats with heart issues to become worse - even symptom free rats may start having serious symptoms

I'm gonna set him up for a check-up, hopefully on Thursday or sooner, which may be another 54$ unless I can maneuver a coupon for a first-time check-in in my favor- it's gonna happen either way. Kaito is the wheezy rat, Len is the one I had to do a surgery for (his first knuckle couldn't be repaired due to Len struggling to remove the toe from the cage :/). I wanted to do an appt. For Kaito, but Len had to take priority at the time.

Poor Len, I hope he feels better. If Kaito is wheezy then I would definitely take him in and get him meds as soon as you can, rats can go downhill very quickly without meds. We’re you able to make an appointment?I hope they both get better!!

Poor Len, I hope he feels better. If Kaito is wheezy then I would definitely take him in and get him meds as soon as you can, rats can go downhill very quickly without meds. We’re you able to make an appointment?I hope they both get better!!
Sorry for the late update! I was at a job that took up most of my day XP both boys are doing great :) len's toe is healed up perfectly and kaito is very healthy- no infections found, luckily. Keeping the humidifier on more helps his breathing a ton.

Glad they are doing better
Please keep a close eye on them
Sounds like you air must be very dry so glad the increased humidity is helping

Back