On antibiotics but not responding well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielZielwolf

Hi,

One of my rats - Archie - about whom I posted last Sunday, who's been on doxycycline for a while but whose breathing got more raspy a week ago had a respiratory attack on Wednesday. I took him to the vet and she added Baytril 0.26ml to the doxycycline (Vibravet paste 0.1ml) both 2x day.
He's recovered from the attack but his breathing sounds atrocious and his chest is heaving too. He had lots of energy the last few days but this afternoon he seems a bit lethargic and weak. Still eating ok. Any advice? I will take him back to the vet, but she's not an expert. I'm starting to get really worried :( I really don't want to lose this guy yet. He's really special (all rats are, but this one is especially special!) and only about 18 mths old. Unfortunately I don't really know what happened to him in his first 9 months as he's a rescue rat. Could he have some other underlying infection? He is, or was, super fit otherwise. A solid guy at 650 grams, (he hasn't lost any weight, which is a first) heaps of energy, zest and appetite. I'm starting to think he's got some kind of superbug strain of mycoplasmosis because it seems incredibly aggressive and resistant to treatment. PS I should mention he did have some discharge from his nose on Wednesday but right now his nose is looking totally clear. Also, the vet said the trouble was mostly in his right lung which sounded like "strips of velcro being rubbed together". This is what he sounds like now:

Last edited:
I would suggest baytril + azithromycin(10 mg/Ib) or baytril + doxy + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib), orally, twice a day for 6 weeks if it helps
Edit: Azithromycin can be purchased at a human pharmacy by prescription from a vet

If he has fluid in his lungs/chest he will need Lasix and you will need to watch his hydration (you can get a vet to show you how to give sub-Q fluids and sell you the equiptment)

It could be myco http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php
It could be pneumonia http://ratguide.com/health/lower_respiratory/pneumonia.php
It could be a heart issue http://ratguide.com/health/cardiovascular/cardiomyopathy.php
Medications can help all of these conditions if given early enough ...… or it could be something else

If you post his weight, the strength of each medication and the amount he is getting, we can double check that he is getting the correct dose

I would suggest you make a vet appointment asap, and take the links and printouts of the info with you for the vet to look at - because he needs different medication asap

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. As mentioned he weighs 650g and he's getting 0.26ml Baytril and 0.1g Vibravet paste (Doxycycline 100mg/g) both 2x per day. Since Sunday he's doing better. Right now (2am Tuesday) he's barely making any noise and hasn't since Monday lunchtime. He's been active and is eating and drinking, so I guess it's just wait and see. I suspect he's got an aggressive strain of mycoplasmosis. I don't think it's environmental because his buddy (in my avatar) is in perfect health. He hasn't lost any weight in the last few months either, rather he has actually gained a bit.

Sounds like the combo is doing its work and helping him fight off his infection. Doxy alone rarely can help anything other than the mildest of infections, so once you added the baytril and it built up enough in his system he is finally getting better :)

RIP Archie. Sadly he succumbed to pneumonia this morning, but he died peacefully. No horrible mouth breathing or running around panicking. Thanks for the advice everyone. He was a very special guy.
IMG_20181029_104028_985.jpg

Back