OMG weasel looks like he is dying :((((

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kindness is free

Weasel is 12 weeks old and I adopted him healthy. Or as far as I thought. I noticed he and his brother had mites so I treated two days ago with ivermectin , 25micrograms per 50g body weight. The brother is fine. However after a day weasel seemed a bit lethargic ... I kept an eye on him and today (48hrs later) he is super lethargic and doesn’t react much to being picked up (he was very untamed and skittish 2 days ago). He only opens his eyes to little skits, appears to be breathing rapidly although there’s is absolutely no audible sound of wheeze, sniffling or anything respiratory. I have a vet appointment in 16 hours but I’m wondering what I can do in the meantime? I have separated him from his pals.was this the right thing to do? What could this be????? Please help :( I’m scared to lose him

He needs to be with his cagemates. That will stress him and he could get worse. Put his sides to your ears (like a rat phone) and see if you can hear any noises that way. Give him drops of water with a syringe, but be careful not to give too much or fast, so he doesn't aspirate, and get pneumonia. Make sure to give him plenty of fluids. See if he will lick baby food veggies up, or maybe plain yogurt. At this point, hydration is more important than food.

From ratguide
"
Ivermectin 200 mcg/kg to 400 mcg/kg (0.2 mg/kg to 0.4 mg/kg), PO, SQ, repeat in 8-10 days 2. May be applied as a topical behind the ear."

You should've used 10-20 mcg per 50 grams so it sounds like Weasel was more sensitive than your other boy.

From ratguide
"
Ivermectin 200 mcg/kg to 400 mcg/kg (0.2 mg/kg to 0.4 mg/kg), PO, SQ, repeat in 8-10 days 2. May be applied as a topical behind the ear."

You should've used 10-20 mcg per 50 grams so it sounds like Weasel was more sensitive than your other boy.
Sorry I mean 25mcg! I followed the instructions for beaphar anti mite spot on for hamsters and gerbils as he is under 300g. He is drinking ... just watching him lap up water now...

He needs to be with his cagemates. That will stress him and he could get worse. Put his sides to your ears (like a rat phone) and see if you can hear any noises that way. Give him drops of water with a syringe, but be careful not to give too much or fast, so he doesn't aspirate, and get pneumonia. Make sure to give him plenty of fluids. See if he will lick baby food veggies up, or maybe plain yogurt. At this point, hydration is more important than food.
I can’t hear any noises. I am a doctor and have listen with my stethoscope and cannot hear anything unusual although I am of course used to human patients.

I
From ratguide
"

m really confused now as the instruction said 25mcg per 50g per 50 grams and i treated for them being 150g despite them weighing at 200g

And I really am scared of not separating him... what if he passes this on? Surely he is too sick to even acknowledge his cage mates right now?

He needs to be with them, the comfort of his cage mates will help him remain calm. I highly doubt he has anything that could harm the others and if he did they would already have been exposed. I can guarantee the people here have experience and are your best bet at helping him. I understand the fear but lilspaz has cared for TONS of ill rats and helped them recover from their death beds. Please trust them, They're one of the biggest reasons my Mazu is still alive.

don’t worry I put him back with them but he’s gone away to curl up alone. I can hear crackling so it would seem respiratory and I’m worried I can now hear it in another boy of mine.

You used Beaphar Spot On?

Did they tell you you have to treat them 3 times, once a week in the instructions? Pretty sure Beaphar instruction were 9ne dose only which is incorrect for ivermectin

Do you have access to a vet in these covid days and if not do you have any antibiotics in your own cupboard like ciprofloxacin, clavamox (,Augmentin), azithromycin?

I followed these instructions on the packet of beaphar anti parasite spot on. I took him to the vet who has confirmed a chest infection and has prescribed baytril 2.5% per ml, 0.1ml twice daily. And metacam ; one drop twice daily. I struggled to get al the baytril into him as the little darling as spittting it out. He’s dehydrated but I’ve managed to get him to drink. I am so sad.

Here

Attachments

• 45004D34-2AC2-4597-BFB8-E157AB97C7D1.jpeg
    45004D34-2AC2-4597-BFB8-E157AB97C7D1.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 173
Ugh just once. Useless treatment. Ivermectin only kills one stage of the 3 stage life cycle...the hatched adults. You dose, it kills the first round, the rat has more hatch, gets reinfested, you dose again, and then once again a week later to kill the final hatched adults

Ugh just once. Useless treatment. Ivermectin only kills one stage of the 3 stage life cycle...the hatched adults. You dose, it kills the first round, the rat has more hatch, gets reinfested, you dose again, and then once again a week later to kill the final hatched adults
That’s awful! But great for them as you buy more :( do you mind telling me what system you use and how to get hold of it please?
I have managed to coax weasel into drinking and eating some spaghetti and apple. He’s had two doses of antibiotics.

Is there anything else I can do to help him? Sorry for all the questions. I’ve never nursed a sick rat before, only a hamster and she died. :/

Don't bother with the Metacam, it tastes nasty and doesn't help much with resp infections.
Try soft food that he can lick up and with antibiotics it can take 4--5 days for them to start working.

Ok thank you. So ditch the anti inflammatory. Yeah he didn’t like it one bit!!!
HES LOOKING SO MUCH BETTER :))))))
he was grooming a little and is walking faster. Still waddling slowly but not as bad as yesterday :))) I’ve given him yoghurt, mashed banana and some baby food puree. I think he might make it :)

Does it ever happen that they appear to get better and then get worse again ? :/

Thanks so much for all your help

Back