Older rats with younger ones?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattdad

I currently have two rats, one about 2 years 4 months and one just turned 2. Both are rescues, male and female, and the male has had a lot of socialization issues (though much improved since the spring). My third rat just passed away this past week.

I'm interested in getting another 2-3 rats. I've adopted all of my rats from MRR for the past five years--around ten rats. All have been around a year old or so at the time I got them; the only baby rats I've had were the first three that my daughter got from a breeder. I could easily adopt another couple from Mainely Rat Rescue (I really love this organization) but it occurred to me that maybe I should get some younger ones. When you get older rats, they obviously don't live as long. I only had the rat that passed away earlier this week for about 10 months, and I still cried like a baby at the vet's office. I wouldn't mind having some rats around for at least a couple of years.

If I get rats that are very young, are they going to be terrorized by my old grouches? My boy used to be very aggressive with other rats (lots of pinning, etc), but I'm not sure what he'd do with youngsters. Any advice, experience, etc? Thank you.

Back