Older male rat (Cookie) interacting with other animals

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kko2046

We have an older (~1 yr 9 months) male silvermane... he lost his cage mate several months ago but we were not able to find a suitable new mate so we have settled with just giving him more attention when we can.

Just want to share with the forum that we find it interesting to see he seems to show more interest with human and other small animals than other rats... He is very comfortable staying with me on my shoulder when I work from home and even falling asleep there. He is happy to be held by people he met for the first time, and sometimes jumps on to other humans he didnt know.

Recently he visited guniea pigs and a bunny belonging to friends (on 2 separate occasions). He would sniff them for quite a bit and even ate some of their food.
Screenshot_20220906-103137_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20220906-103145_WhatsApp.jpg

And here happy with a bunny...
20220904_213851.jpg

One time we took him to visit a mischief of 4 female rats (2 closer to his age and 2 young ones less than 1 year). We expected him to be very excited as thats the first time he met any female ratties... thought he would feel like he's in heaven :) He barely sniffed them for a couple minutes and just went off and did his own thing. The females were very interested in him though as it was also the first time they met a male. My Cookie on top of the females' cage and they took turns sniffing his "package" lol.
Screenshot_20220906-103201_WhatsApp.jpg

Back