Old rat, purple feet

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JBabies

I've got a rather old (2 and a half yo) male rat. He's always been very healthy and very quick to recover from anything minor, but the last few weeks I've noticed that he's been thinning a bit (just old age?) And his feet are getting darker, like almost purple. He has no other symptoms, no cuts, no scars, no scabs, no itching or licking. He's completely himself other than thinning and his feet getting purple-ish. I'm really concerned about him, I've had rats for years and haven't had this. Is it normal? If it's not, what needs to be done? I attached a picture. None of my other rats (who are young males) have this.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1157796424.jpg
    Snapchat-1157796424.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,178
Not sure if it happens to rats, but as people age, a lot of the time their heart starts showing weakness. As it doesn't pump as well, the blood will basically not be circulated to the extremities as well, causing them to appear cyanotic (purplish). I would suppose it's the same with rats. Their hearts will eventually just give out. Another reason could be if he's not getting enough oxygen. Have you ratphoned him (hold him to your ears and listened to his breathing)? How does it sound? If you've had rats for a while, I'm sure you've dealt with respiratory issues, and know how they can hide it. I hope he's OK, or gets better quickly!

I "ratphone" them routinely just to be careful. He's got his normal breathing, and I can hear his heartbeat fine. Should I worry about him at all or do anything? Or is it just old age and I can't do anything?

Back