Old boy with dry skin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarat2

Dusty has some dry skin on his left hind end, probably because he can't reach this area since he has a tumor on his left front. The tumor stays due to his other autoimmune problems (ears) and I am not willing to chance having his tumor incision be infected with his unrelenting ear nastiness.

SOO.....the dry skin.....it's not mites and it is really only in the one area. He had a bath yesterday which he really seemed to enjoy. I got some of the dry skin off then and then he also like his toothbrush grooming sessions on that side :D and he will groom me back in the process. I also pick a little off today which he also groomed me back while I was doing it. Any thoughts? I'm trying to make sure he gets some olive oil in his diet daily to help his skin.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

If the weather's turning and your doors are shut with your heat on could it that? When I'm using the heat I put out bowls of water in every room to stave of it's drying..

Fidget said:
If the weather's turning and your doors are shut with your heat on could it that? When I'm using the heat I put out bowls of water in every room to stave of it's drying..

Nope heat is not on yet, and I keep the vaporizer running the in bedroom where the rats are in the evenings.

When my boys got older and had all that icky sebum just sitting on their skin like that, the best I could do was brush him and the olive oil too.

jorats said:
When my boys got older and had all that icky sebum just sitting on their skin like that, the best I could do was brush him and the olive oil too.

Not to be dumb, but I've always heard feeding them the olive oil was good. I recently was told you could physically put the olive oil on their skin? :?:

Back