Oddball rat thread ..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racholo

Heya,

I thought it would be cool to start an oddball rat thread to hear the stories of any rats you have had or have that are quite unique.
So starting a thread to hear anyones stories who wants to share - whether it be behaviour, colouration, or taste or sleeping preference or weird habits.

I'll start: my current three boys don't like anything sweet for treats except yoghurt(Of course). They reject pet chocolate, any fruit - including grapes and banana, they reject banana chips, cookies, and don't have any interest in lollies either(Which I'm happy about).

But ... they go bonkers for broccoli .. lol

sounds good, smart ratties ….. except for fresh slices of ripe bananas, they are rejecting unhealthy crap
(btw dairy isn't good for them either)

mine do not eat those things either, so they sound like normal ratties to me :)
mine love broccoli, organic baby kale etc too :)

Last edited:
Oh that's good! - I have obviously been watching too many rat vids on Youtube lol rats stealing peoples chocolate, and pieces of fruit.
All my previous boys who on the very rare occassion would get pet choc as treats absolutely loved it.
With the yogurt I allowed them to lick a small amount off my finger - is that ok?

Rats sometimes are given a very tiny amount of dark chocolate in an emergency to try to keep an airway open until they can get to the vet - otherwise chocolate is not recommended. Some people give their rats yogurt, dairy isn't healthy for them but a small amount isn't going to cause great harm
A lot of rats like some types of fruit - especially a small piece of ripe banana - probably their sweet tooth LOL
and berries are very healthy but mine aren't that keen on berries, must be an acquired taste

You may find the info in the Reference Thread helpful https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/
sorry if I sound negative I don't mean to be

I hope that you post lots of pictures of your ratties :)

Heya,

I thought it would be cool to start an oddball rat thread to hear the stories of any rats you have had or have that are quite unique.
So starting a thread to hear anyones stories who wants to share - whether it be behaviour, colouration, or taste or sleeping preference or weird habits.

I'll start: my current three boys don't like anything sweet for treats except yoghurt(Of course). They reject pet chocolate, any fruit - including grapes and banana, they reject banana chips, cookies, and don't have any interest in lollies either(Which I'm happy about).

But ... they go bonkers for broccoli .. lol

All I can picture is RAT FARTS!
I have a few that fart like grown men on occasion. Depending on what or how much of it they eat!

Hmmm... The weirdest thing my rats have done/do? *Taps chin*

I had one rat suddenly decide that after a year of biting and avoiding me, he wanted to be my baby. My little Grumpy doesn't fit his nickname anymore.

There's always that one rat who prefers my company over his brothers. My Gideon and Ni-Ni much prefer/preferred my cuddles and kisses over their brothers. Free time always started and ended with them in my laps, getting smothered in love.

At least what was weird for me is I recently had a tornado warning over my home. Confirmed cell with rotation and our phones, TVs, etc. were telling us to seek shelter on the lowest level with no windows. My rats are on the second floor of my home, so I had to get them to safety. In a panic, I had to whip together my temporary cage and just shove ALL of my rats in this small cage, even the two new boys who hadn't even started intros with my "main" boys. Not a peep. Absolutely no issues. I thought for sure there would be squeaks, but there were none. Everyone handled it like a champ. It's like they all knew how serious the situation was. I was lucky, but man, it was scary and nerve-wracking, even with me right there, hand posed to intervene.
(Also for reference, I would never do this willingly. I did this for their safety. In hindsight, I could have handled it much better, but as soon as the sirens turned on and the TV confirmed a tornado may possibly touchdown, I just thought "I'd rather they're shoved together and uncomfortable than dead from the storm." I would much prefer wounds than them being dead.)

For happier weird stories... Grumpy liked to sit on my shoulders just to lick my neck and shaved hair. Dunno why, he just liked it. He also liked to clean the inside of my nose. Didn't matter how much I'd discourage it, he'd always try to do it.

All I can picture is RAT FARTS!
I have a few that fart like grown men on occasion. Depending on what or how much of it they eat!
Oh my goodness, rat farts STINK! There have been a few times I literally thought one took a stinky poo on me! The little mischievous look they give me when I lift them up like "Did you just POO on me?" I've never found a correlation on what I've given them to when they do the little silent but deadly's...

We had a lovely PEW boy who used to poop standing up.

Another fellow, Lucius, used to sleep on his favourite rope perch. His head would hang down one side while his nuts and tail hung down the other as ballast.

Rat farts can peel paint! Our current girls were bad for that for the first few months, but they seem to have outgrown it. For a while, though, they were competing for the title of Queen of the Winds.

We had a lovely PEW boy who used to poop standing up.

Another fellow, Lucius, used to sleep on his favourite rope perch. His head would hang down one side while his nuts and tail hung down the other as ballast.

Rat farts can peel paint! Our current girls were bad for that for the first few months, but they seem to have outgrown it. For a while, though, they were competing for the title of Queen of the Winds.

Omg your post made me LOL! Jellybean (rip) used to fart like a grown man when I'd pick her up! Especially if I woke her up! Now, Créme will sometimes run up my arm, and cut a few in the process. For the very first time (that I know of) I had Mackie fart on me. It's was silent, but omg! Such a big smell for such a small, sweet rat!

Pepper used to go to the VERY TOP of his cage, hang his butt over the basket as if sitting on the rim of a toilet, and poop on whoever happened to be at the bottom! Was so funny to watch! He just DIDN'T care! Everyone who saw it would laugh so hard. Like he was a jerk about it! Would be asleep, jump up, run to the top basket, and drop a deuce, then find a comfy spot, and go back to sleep!

My Reuben taunts the cat. The cat will sit too close to the rat cage and Reuben will tease him mercilessly...so close and yet so far. Then he'll go back to eating blueberries or taking a nap.

Grumpy likes to yawn when I pick him up. First time he did it, just about scared me, because I just felt him tensing in my hands and I was like "What's happening?!" Turns out he was just yawning. He likes to yawn RIGHT in my face. Anyone ever smelled rat breath? Sure smells better than dog breath.

I've had Grumpy yawn right when he was licking my face too. Always a little eerier seeing those big teeth inches from your face. One thing to not see them with kisses, another when they're inches away from your nose! One time, Grumpy actually closed his mouth (after a yawn) and bumped my nose. We both looked confused for a second. Then he gave me a kiss like "Sorry, human. Didn't mean to do that."

One of my girls(marshmallow/fluffer) used to sleep with her head under her sister's butt! The same girl also refused to use the regular entrance to her hidey-hole and instead had a permanent tunnel dug under the side and she would squeeze through that every single time. The other girl(peanut butter/nutter) thought she was fluffer's mommy and insisted on licking her butt clean every time she went to the bathroom. One time nutter got her head stuck in a snack shack and fluffer had to chew her out!

Elsa just brought a lab block out of the house, ran over to my husband, sat down right on his crotch, and started munching on the block. I started laughing; she gave me the most judgemental look, and went back to eating.

Back