Oakland Vet Clinic - Mahone Bay NS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

I wanted to wait until I had dealt with this vet before posting her. Her name is Beverley Hackshaw and she is a trained exotic vet that has just set up her practice in my area. She is WONDERFUL and her prices are beyond reasonable......$40 for a neuter, $75 for a spay......
When I went to her clinic she gave me a tour.....and I noticed there was an older rattie that had gotten a tumor removal......We talked about that and I found out that was $75 including overnight care in her home (clinic is in her yard).

She loves pocket pets and wants to help make it easier for people to care for them properly.
I am so excited to have met her....I feel like my rats and I have won the lottery.

Oh and she is trained in doing early spays and neuters....so she has no problem with doing spays and neuters at 5 weeks for rats.... :happydance:

her number is 902-531-3117

edit...she is now divorced and goes by Dr. Greenlaw

I would just like to put in my two cents for this vet as well.

I have now brought Percy, Quinn and Baxter to be neutered there and she is absolutely wonderful. She knows her stuff, has rats of her own (well, her young daughter does) and is extremely knowledgeable. I got a course on atbs for Percy (unmixed so they last longer) and another batch in case someone gets sick in the future. The dosages seem right and the prices cannot be beat. She did a great job cleaning up Quinn's neck from his injury and was great to talk to.

Two thumbs up from me and my crew.

Kimber said:
I would just like to put in my two cents for this vet as well.

I have now brought Percy, Quinn and Baxter to be neutered there and she is absolutely wonderful. She knows her stuff, has rats of her own (well, her young daughter does) and is extremely knowledgeable. I got a course on atbs for Percy (unmixed so they last longer) and another batch in case someone gets sick in the future. The dosages seem right and the prices cannot be beat. She did a great job cleaning up Quinn's neck from his injury and was great to talk to.

Two thumbs up from me and my crew.

The rats she has....3 in a double CN...... are three sweet little boys she adopted from me (MRRG) She fell in love with them when they went to get neutered.....She is a very caring person........

She did the spays and neuters for my last group of babies - they were done quite young, maybe 8 weeks. Calvin had a 'sterile' neuter abcess and was on antibiotics for a while. It never did drain, and had a nodule I could feel in his scrotum for about 6 weeks. Then it disappeared and has been fine since. Dudley had paraphimosis a few days after his neuter, it lasted about a day and a half. BUT, these are normal risks of surgery. Would I use her again? SURE!

so weird how some have problems.....I think I have had one abscess on all the neuters I had had done by her (and I would say I have had 15 to 20 done)....my last two boys where done a few weeks ago and everything went great.....no problems at all...healed up fast.

She did my little snake bait boy Hotch a month ago, and he had paraphimosis too! Go figure! She let me watch the procedure, and I really don't think it was anything she did; it's just a risk of the procedure. I managed it at home and let her know what was up and how it resolved. I would still use her again...

Hi, I just have to put my two cents in about Dr. Greenlaw as well, she is wonderful. I'm in Lower Sackville, so it's a 45 min drive away, but worth it. She did Ozzie's neuter, and Ruby and Daisy's spay. Her prices don't even compare to the hundreds of dollars all of the local vets wanted for each rat! And on a side note, we also got my cats teeth cleaned and one pulled. My usual cat vet quoted me a minimum of $800!!!. Dr. Greenlaw has a half price dental special on in January and Feb, it cost us under $200 for blood work, cleaning, extraction and antibiotics!. Unbelievable. And since my cat had his tooth out, he is taking a long time to heal, so she even offered to have a look at him when she was in my area next week if it's still infected (BTW, it was infected before the surgery, that's why it had to come out). I can't believe she offered to do that. Awesome.

I recently travelled to NS where she neutered 9 rescue boys and spayed 4 rescue girls.
Excellent vet, wonderful person, and very affordable prices!!!

I’ve went to this vet a couple years ago and had a great experience. I’m not sure if I saw a different vet this time or something was up but I’m very disappointed in my last visit.

The vet was very cold and disinterested. She handled my girls a bit rough and they were terrified. I could get past that but then she prescribed me doxy for a week and that was it.

I’m a trained vet tech and an experienced rat owner so I was confused by this. The usual treatment is doxy and baytril for two weeks minimum.

The fault somewhat lies with me I guess, I didn’t properly look at the meds until I was 3 hours away back in Yarmouth.

Now my girls are still sneezing after their treatment and I’m scared I built up their resistance to the meds now. It was very disappointing after having such a good first visit.

So pre warned I guess. You all know your babies and what is expected to treat them. Sad to say I’ll be finding another vet :(

I live in NB and have only used this vet for spays and neuters. She did a good job with the surgeries.

Yes they need antibiotics for 4 to 6 weeks :(

good luck

Back