nursing rats

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by Kaat, Nov 28, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Nov 28, 2018 #1

Kaat

Kaat

Kaat

Horrid rat farts, just horrid, all the time. I can't tell if its from my nursing mother or from the babies. Before the babies mom was not gassy at all. Mom is eating a high protein kitten food from royal canin and her normal oxbow pellets. Are baby rats just normally gassy? Or is mom gassy from the high protein food? She's nursing so I can't really take it away, but god almighty.....the farts are soooooo smelly!!! (As a side note stools are normal and no bloating.)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. Nov 28, 2018 #2

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

This is a rescue forum.
    We do not support the breeding of rats so please change your title.
    I really hope you will change your title to something like: Help need nursing mama rat with gas

Many of us (such as lilspaz68, Jorats, and myself) have quite a bit of experience in caring for rescued pregnant rats and rescued mamas & their nursing litters …….

3. Nov 28, 2018 #3

SQ

SQ

SQ

The mama should not be fed kitten food. That is probably the problem.

The mom should be fed her regular diet of oxbow blocks, a variety of daily vegs, and cooked grains (such as real oatmeal or quinoa), berries, a piece of ripe fruit, a few cooked beans or a few cooked chick peas, etc

If you feel she requires extra protein then you may want to feed her organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal - this is also good for when she is weaning her babies.
    Some people suggest animal protein such as a boiled egg (but rats do not need animal protein and animal protein is not healthy for them, plant protein is better)

4. Nov 28, 2018 #4

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

Administrator Staff Member Admin

We don't usually recommend cat food for any rats. Its just too high in protein as its made for pure carnivores.
    There are better things you can use for extra protein for nursing momma's.

5. Nov 30, 2018 #5

Kaat

Kaat

Kaat

I am a member of so many rat forums and groups, at least 12 different ones, I have a hard time keeping track of who allows what, especially since it can vary so widely, I try to join groups that allow "all chat." I forget that people get offended by certain things when it comes to rats, sorry that my title was unacceptable, I would delete the post but I can't seem to find that option, I'll take my question to one of the other pages I follow, thank you and apologies.

6. Nov 30, 2018 #6

SQ

SQ

SQ

There is no problem with the information you want to know …. sorry if I offended you

7. Nov 30, 2018 #7

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Most likely the gas is from Momma. Some of my rescue mom's developed diarrhea in their 2nd week and had to go on the BRAT diet until things improved. Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast (or some variant of). their poor systems are completely out of whack. Depending on how young your mom is, what condition she is in, how many pups she has, can often help you figure out a good diet for her. Staple should be quality lab blocks, lots of veggies, very very little fruit. Some protein sources to help the pups grow but not too much. :)

8. Dec 2, 2018 #8

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Definitely get her off that high protein food. It's not good for rats. Get her on rat food. And supplement only a little bit with extra protein and fat from good foods like avocados, grains, legumes.

SQ likes this.