Not using front paws to hold food!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrundleMan

Hey everyone,

We’ve had our boys for almost a year now and they seem healthy all things considered.

Recently, one of our boys has started to become lathargic, we noticed that he’s not using his hands to hold food - he’s not knuckling which is good. But he’s also very close to the ground and seems to be flat footed.

The vet we took him to, didn’t seem to care to here our thoughts about it but did check his head for signs of PT, besides that he chalked it up to behavioural change, which I’m not convinced about as he was doing his usual business a few days ago.

He’s taking soft food with a little aid and seems to want to play but is inhibited by something… we’re trying to find the cause but was hoping that some of you more experienced carers might have some insight as to what might be up with him.

Could you please take a video of him trying to eat and moving.?(post on somewhere like YouTube and link it here) It would help exponentially !

this sounds similar to the way my rat was behaving months ago. she was one and a half years old and was diagnosed with a PT and heart disease as well. She was very close to the ground, lost a huge amount of weight, and wouldn't eat solid foods. Near the end she couldn't groom herself anymore because she'd fall over. Very slow-moving and fast breathing and weak. I hope this helps and your boy is alright!

Hey everyone,

We’ve had our boys for almost a year now and they seem healthy all things considered.

Recently, one of our boys has started to become lathargic, we noticed that he’s not using his hands to hold food - he’s not knuckling which is good. But he’s also very close to the ground and seems to be flat footed.

The vet we took him to, didn’t seem to care to here our thoughts about it but did check his head for signs of PT, besides that he chalked it up to behavioural change, which I’m not convinced about as he was doing his usual business a few days ago.

He’s taking soft food with a little aid and seems to want to play but is inhibited by something… we’re trying to find the cause but was hoping that some of you more experienced carers might have some insight as to what might be up with him.
Do you have updates on your boy's condition? I hope everything is okay.

Do you have updates on your boy's condition? I hope everything is okay.
Hey,

So unfortunately our little boy Jub Jub passed away the day after posting this here.

we’re not sure what got him in the end but what we do know is that it wasn’t a way anybody should go. We’re feeling a lot of anger towards the vet who brushed our concerns off and a lot of sadness for ourselves and his brothers.

Last Friday we found a spot close to where we live and buried him with his favourite treats and the scarf he used to sleep in as a baby. He loved it when I played Here Comes the Sun on the guitar and I sang him to his long sleep.

Everything is still very raw and my girlfriend and I are just absolutely devastated. Thank you all for your concern, he’s asleep now but I’ll see him again when we both wake up. X

Hey,

So unfortunately our little boy Jub Jub passed away the day after posting this here.

we’re not sure what got him in the end but what we do know is that it wasn’t a way anybody should go. We’re feeling a lot of anger towards the vet who brushed our concerns off and a lot of sadness for ourselves and his brothers.

Last Friday we found a spot close to where we live and buried him with his favourite treats and the scarf he used to sleep in as a baby. He loved it when I played Here Comes the Sun on the guitar and I sang him to his long sleep.

Everything is still very raw and my girlfriend and I are just absolutely devastated. Thank you all for your concern, he’s asleep now but I’ll see him again when we both wake up. X
OMG. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can feel your pain. It's the least I thought could happen. I hope his memories can bring about healing. How many brothers are left? I can also imagine how they miss him.

Back