Not Eating or drinking. Infection? Tumor? Depression?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Splinter'sgirl

I am way new to this but I need help. My pet rat splinter is just shy of 2 years old and there has been a massive change in him for the past month. I've noticed his weight has declined and he has a hard time moving. If I bring food to him he will try to nibble at it but he can't seem to get it. I've given him some organic baby food just to try and get him to eat something. He can't get enough of it. I even switched a bottle to a dish so he could easily access the water because he won't stand. He keeps falling over to the side and doesn't even try to catch himself. I don't have a small animal vet in my area, which sucks. Any ideas on how I can get him to regain weight? Or even ideas as to what's wrong with him?

Not sure about what could be wrong, but it will help tremendously if you could take a video of him trying to move around, and trying to eat his rat blocks, and post it to YouTube, then copy and paste the link on here. You can give him organic soy infant formula and mix it with baby rice cereal, or some ensure. I mixed each with baby cereal when my rats got sick. Or you can soak his rat blocks in cool water, and make a mush that he can lick up. There are also multiple soft food choices to give him, that will help with dehydration, and help him get something in his tummy. Canned pumpkin (not the pie filling), cooked old fashioned oats, cooked quinoa, fresh leafy greens, just to name a few. Hope he feels better soon. Also, you should probably put him in a one level cage, with low hanging hammocks, and hides for now. Does he have a cagemate to keep him company?

Not sure about what could be wrong, but it will help tremendously if you could take a video of him trying to move around, and trying to eat his rat blocks, and post it to YouTube, then copy and paste the link on here. You can give him organic soy infant formula and mix it with baby rice cereal, or some ensure. I mixed each with baby cereal when my rats got sick. Or you can soak his rat blocks in cool water, and make a mush that he can lick up. There are also multiple soft food choices to give him, that will help with dehydration, and help him get something in his tummy. Canned pumpkin (not the pie filling), cooked old fashioned oats, cooked quinoa, fresh leafy greens, just to name a few. Hope he feels better soon. Also, you should probably put him in a one level cage, with low hanging hammocks, and hides for now. Does he have a cagemate to keep him company?
He and his brother stick grew up together but they are both un neutered and splinter had bit him really good. I seperated them to give stick time to heal from his wounds and it was meant to be temporary. But everytime I tried to put them together again they would just fight. And not like the boxing they usually do. No, he does not have a cage mate currently, but I try to make up for it by giving them both a lot of attention.

Back