Not Bruxing or eye boggling

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsr4life

I have two spayed top eared females, they are sisters and have never been seperated. They live in a very comfortable envirnment (natural sunlight, soft bedding like towels or blankets, warm temp, fed fresh fruit veg, and complete rat feed from vet, cage can fit 5 rats according to rat calculator, out of cage time everyday, stimulating exercise and toys.) But they have never bruxed, they chatter alot, to me and between each other. They show thier affection to me by licks, and hand wrestling, but never bruxing.

They are definatly busy bees, and are 11 months old, they act like 4month olds. No signs on mycoplasma yet, and clear lungs. So are they just not the bruxing type? Once they turn into squishy lap rats will they tend to brux?

Thier teeth are in great shape and look healthy.

any thoughts?.....

I hardly ever see my girls boggle, and they're not big bruxxers either. I think some rats just don't show their emotions as much as others.

I have some that bruxx, but only one of mine boggles. That's my squishy man Arthur.

I'm sure they must brux at some point, that's how they trim their teeth.
It will be a precious moment the day you do find one bruxxing and/or boggling.

Yeah, they will do it for you eventually-my Axel used to just see me open the cage and start bruxxing hehe X3 but his brother Joey didn't really like me all that much til he was much older and he started getting a soft side. We eventually bonded enough for him to just have a little brux every now and then :p

Most of mine will brux when they are being held. I have only had one rat boggle so far. I do have one that is a real chatter box. Talks all the time, just don't know what she is saying other than I want out. I know that chatter. :)

bruxxing is when they grind their teeth together and make that grinding chittery sound. its like a cat purr, most commonly done when happy but can also be done when in pain. body posture and situation will help you know the difference.

boggling is like the UBER-BRUX. it happens when they are so happy and bruxxing so much that their bottom teeth touch the roof of their mouth causing their eyes to pop in and out rapidly. you know you have a VERY happy rattie when you see him boggling his little heart out. here's a vid of a rat boggle:
[youtube:5iaas413]fw1yWztNIps[/youtube:5iaas413]

lilspaz68 said:
They could still be in the closet about bruxxing/boggling in public. Some do it when you are not there :)

Closet bruxxing! lol
One of my girls boggled and only one bruxxes, every once in a while. I wouldn't think its that they are not happy, just not relaxed enough when your around to see it. Izzie only boggles when she's in her gatorade bottle all by herself lol

Back